Hello, everyone!

My mom is on a trip so I decided to make a surprise for her when she gets back.

This purse is from 6 oz. veg tan and lined with suede. The strap is 8 oz. I hand tooled all of it from a pattern in a book. It took me an estimated total of 30 hours from start to finish.

Let me know what you think! (My mom hasn't seen this yet!)

20170805_165820.jpg.8815117a1719039df8a1fd4dd3da2f78.jpg20170805_165853.jpg.13813f19f3d0c3b033093fdc47f1c242.jpg

I for one can say she will moved to tears that is beautiful work young sir! Keep it up!!!

21 minutes ago, Mattsbagger said:

I'm no tooler but your mom's gonna love it. That pretty awesome work.

Thank you! The tooling was a lot of fun!

1 minute ago, Sanch said:

I for one can say she will moved to tears that is beautiful work young sir! Keep it up!!!

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it! 

Yep, tears and hugs coming soon!

Very nice work for sure!

Great job!  She will love it.  30 hours of labor - you would have to charge someone a premium price to recoup your labor time if you were selling it!

3 minutes ago, garypl said:

Great job!  She will love it.  30 hours of labor - you would have to charge someone a premium price to recoup your labor time if you were selling it!

I know. That's why I'm not selling it. :) Thanks!

That's a great job on the bag! Your Mon will be very happy to have a bag that her son made with his own hands.

I think it's rare these days that sons and daughters go to that effort to make their parents happy. It's a credit to you!

keep up the good work.

9 minutes ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

That's a great job on the bag! Your Mon will be very happy to have a bag that her son made with his own hands.

I think it's rare these days that sons and daughters go to that effort to make their parents happy. It's a credit to you!

keep up the good work.

Thank you! It's the least I can do for her.

I say it rocks.  Your decorative cuts stand out as your own style already.

Stitching is pretty good too.  Just trim/melt that thread hanging out and you have a perfect project!

YinTx

1 hour ago, YinTx said:

I say it rocks.  Your decorative cuts stand out as your own style already.

Stitching is pretty good too.  Just trim/melt that thread hanging out and you have a perfect project!

YinTx

Aw, I thought no one would catch that! Good call. I have already trimmed and burned the thread ends. There are a few other things I might want to fix that you haven't caught yet. :whistle: 

Do you think I over did the dec cuts?

Thank you!

I've only carved and tooled three things so far... only thing I've understood is that there are no set rules, so if you like em, keep em.  I think it looks good.

YinTx

Nicely done sir! 

56 minutes ago, Chief Filipino said:

Nicely done sir! 

Thank you! I see you're from Tucson as well! Where in Tucson are you?

Edited by Rolandranch

She got home today and was thrilled with it! She was even happier that it came with a clean house. :thumbsup:

Well done that is some fantastic work!

On 8/9/2017 at 7:33 PM, Fire88 said:

Well done that is some fantastic work!

Thanks!

On 8/8/2017 at 0:06 AM, Rolandranch said:

Thank you! I see you're from Tucson as well! Where in Tucson are you?

I'm over on the East side, where abouts are you? 

16 hours ago, Chief Filipino said:

I'm over on the East side, where abouts are you? 

I'm Southwest in Drexel Heights. 

Nice. The thing with decorative cuts is that it is more a personal preference kinda thing. Some people like to balance it out, some like a lot of cuts, and I've seen very nice work that didn't use them at all, not that the artist couldn't do it, just that he preferred not to. 

There are many styles and approaches to them, you just have to do what you like and make them your own. It's only too much if you think it is. I think your approach is more along the traditional route, and nothing wrong there. 

26 minutes ago, Stetson912 said:

Nice. The thing with decorative cuts is that it is more a personal preference kinda thing. Some people like to balance it out, some like a lot of cuts, and I've seen very nice work that didn't use them at all, not that the artist couldn't do it, just that he preferred not to. 

There are many styles and approaches to them, you just have to do what you like and make them your own. It's only too much if you think it is. I think your approach is more along the traditional route, and nothing wrong there. 

Thank you. That is helpful. I think in the future, I will do fewer cuts. (Part of the reason I did a lot of cuts was because I was having so much fun and I guess I got a little carried away. lol!)

Haha yeah. It's easy to get lost in it. 

A good gift from a good son! Well done. I think the cuts are OK over all but lighter maybe (not less) on the vines and ferns.

1 hour ago, plinkercases said:

A good gift from a good son! Well done. I think the cuts are OK over all but lighter maybe (not less) on the vines and ferns.

Thank you! I see what you mean. I think I will go lighter and maybe longer next time.