AA3JW

MERNICKLE "WILD BUNCH" 1911 HOLSTER

Does anyone have one of these holsters, of have seen one in person? I am trying to make a pattern, and am trying to figure out the back side, especially the "wings". I am fairly new to leather working. I have made several holsters, but really like this one for my 1911s, my second love, my first is my SIGs.

Dillon holster.jpg

Will Ghormly has a patern pack that has that holster in it :-)

I dont see this pattern in the Ghormley pack, however, the wings are on the back side of the belt loop and rest against the hip/body to help stabilize the holster without a lot of leather on the front side of the loop. Some have a raised ridge to help keep the holster from riding up when drawing the weapon. Hope this helps.

wings.jpg

wings 2.jpg

Plinkercases, thank you so much. That helps immensely.  I actually have the Will Ghormley pattern pack, and have built several of them.  I am not very good at it, but it keeps my hands busy, and away from the bottle of Jack.  I enjoy the work. Thank you so very much

Ha!! good stuff AA3JW. This is a great hobby that relaxes, challenges, focuses and has lots of room for progress (not perfection in my case).

Please show us some of your other work from the pattern pack.

I never took this hobby up to help stay away from the bottle (CC in my case), but did try lots of other clever schemes.... none worked and I still cant play the guitar and have never made it to the gym more than twice!!

I am glad to have rediscovered this childhood hobby after a few years away from the bottle. This and shooting sports. I like to shoot Cowboy Action and Wild Bunch (just at the club level since I don't have the time or money to compete SASS). Always a challenge to keep my hobbies (ones that cost a little to a lot), and Jobbies (ones that pay little) in the right priority slot with respect to my time and money and responsibilities etc.

Feel free to email me anytime maker@plinkercases.ca 

Keep up to good surrender.

I have heard that phrase Progress Not Perfection from a friend of mine, Bill W. I did some cowboy action shooting when I lived in MD, but when I moved to FL, I learned real quick it's to darned hot to play dress up. I still shoot a lot, and reload, and play with my ham radio.  Thanks again.

Edited by AA3JW
addition

Not surprised.

I also know a guy named Bill who also says/writes some very cool and helpful things. I believe he is more of a cypher (inspired combiner of great ideas from other sources into a greater whole than the parts) than an original author. He had lots of editorial help with his stuff too... something like a 100 editors!

I like playing dress up as sweating due to over heating is my only chance of staying fit! And I have always wanted to be cowboy so now I am over 50 I can finally do so with guns that make there own bang bang sound.

Can you post some of your Will Ghormley pattern holsters?

I will post a couple of pictures if I can get my camera to download right. Remember I am just a beginner, so don't be to hard on them.

Normally I would recommend that a person contact the maker of an item to discuss their questions but in the case the Mernickle line and knowing his work ethic (and the fact he is only about 1200 yards away from me and our respect for each other) you won't get anywhere with that direction.  You may be able to figure your design question out by carefully "deconstructing" the design from the various images that you can come up with.  Sorry that I can't provide any more on that though.

These are all made from Will Ghormly patterns. The first one was my first non-kit holster. The black marks are from clips I used to hold it together while I sewed. The last two pictures are from Ghormly Hand of God Holster plan pack cut for a 4 3/4" SAA in .45 long colt which I had to go buy after I built the holster. Be gentile these are the first ones I built except for a couple of Tandy kits.

First one.jpg

Army 1911.jpg

HOG web 1.jpg

HOG Web2.jpg

good starts all of them. could get expensive if you have to go buy a gun fro each holster you make but sounds like a fine rationalization!

If you don't already have them get the Tandy download book by Stohlman - How to Make Holsters and The Art of Hand Stitching leather...both great reference books fro basics you always go back to at some point. They also have holster and gun pelt pattern packs that have some interesting things in them...but I am sure you have seen them when poking around just thought I would shout them out again.

10 minutes ago, plinkercases said:

good starts all of them. could get expensive if you have to go buy a gun fro each holster you make but sounds like a fine rationalization!

If you don't already have them get the Tandy download book by Stohlman - How to Make Holsters and The Art of Hand Stitching leather...both great reference books fro basics you always go back to at some point. They also have holster and gun pelt pattern packs that have some interesting things in them...but I am sure you have seen them when poking around just thought I would shout them out again.

Already bought both of them. I also bought all the holster packs that Tandy has, as well as down loading I bunch I was able to find on the web. I think I almost have the pattern finished for the one I want to build, this will also be my first lined holster. 

Oh this is fun AND makes for a whole new obsession!

4 hours ago, plinkercases said:

Oh this is fun AND makes for a whole new obsession!

I've fought hard to resist the holster temptation... but I will give in eventually.  Already have some blue molds... thankfully none for an old Blackhawk...or I'd have already given in!

I have in my mind a holster I want for it.. but haven't seen one so I am not sure how to go about it... when I give in to the temptation, it will be fun.

YinTx

Hi All

This is my version of the Wild Bunch Holster, made a few weeks ago.

Regards Forester

DSCF7369_opt (1).jpg

Hi All

Another 1911 Holster, made a few weeks ago.

Regards Forester

DSCF7376_opt.jpg

Hi All

Four holsters made from Will Ghormley's 1911 pattern pack.

Regards Forester

DSCF6204_opt.jpg

DSCF6302_opt.jpg

DSCF6659_opt.jpg

DSCF6576_opt.jpg

Hi AA3JW

Keep at it, your holsters look serviceable and wearable, they will get better with practice. I was looking back at some of the first holsters I made and I can't believe that I actually sold them.

Regards Forester

I also found that Ghormley's John Wayne holster houses the 1911 nicely. I liked the idea of mimicking an early 20th century improvisation. Then I modified the template just cutting it down some .

wildbunch03.jpg

Red Cent, did you airbrush that rig? It's certainly very striking in appearance!

AA3JW, that last rig definitely shows improvement from the first. Keep at it, you're doing well.