AdamGadut

Chinese Patcher VS Juki 273

This will be my first walking foot sewing machine if the Almighty allows it that I own one. I don't really have a lot of choices - budget constraints and availability. So I only have two choices - its either the Chinese Shoe Patcher, or the Juki model 273. Both are walking foot, One is electric and with a flat bed, the other is manual, but is very versatile with the angles it can reach.

I will possibly be using this on some bags, wallets, purses, book covers, potentially belts, rare chance for holsters, - that kinda line of items. The last satchel I made reached about 6 layers on some of its parts with some upholstery leather, but typically just about 3 layers on the majority of the sewing done. 

The Juki 273 is appealing - the seller isn't too far from where I am located so he's readily available in case I have issues, I believe he has some parts for this machine too... but its a flat bed... It has a top and Bottom feed, the Manual for it is here: https://www.juki.co.jp/industrial_e/products_e/leather_e/cat94/tnu243_tu273.html and https://www.juki.co.jp/industrial_e/download_e/catalog_e/tu273_tnu243.pdf

The Chinese patcher is appealing too in a way that its very very flexible on the angles it can reach. I imagine if i'm making a messenger bag inspired by the modern designs of today, this machine will favor a lot the hard to reach places that's almost impossible for a flat bed to do. I know the machine will come clunky and it will probably need more tuning and refining - I don't mind doing that, I'm in harmony with making my tools work for me as long as it wont require me to fabricate a complicated spare part that'll need some hundred pound machinery. slight modifications are ok with me and there's a lot of youtube videos showing how everyone made theirs work. The only downside of this is that I'll have to buy it online, I won't have aftermarket support since I'm pretty far from where I'll get it.

598a2be795291_ChineseLeatherPatcher.png.4369d3f4955a1d82ab90435a20450b13.png

From where I'll get these machines, the Shipping plus the price of the Chinese shoe patcher will be almost equivalent to that of the Juki 273 plus shipping. So they both have the same weight for me on this aspect. I'm just a little torn which to pick...

598a2c08b0249_Juki273.png.62d683264bf1f62d6f92fa5781fe630f.png

Which would you recommend? and Why? 

Only my opinion..... You don't need a patcher. You need a Cylinder Arm machine that either has a removable table or would be easy to make one. Probably looking at $1500 up for  the Cylinder machine depending on what thickness you really intend to sew.

Ferg

14 minutes ago, Ferg said:

Only my opinion..... You don't need a patcher. You need a Cylinder Arm machine that either has a removable table or would be easy to make one. Probably looking at $1500 up for  the Cylinder machine depending on what thickness you really intend to sew.

Ferg

I agree. Save some more if you need to. If I was to start all over my first machine would be a cylinder machine but not too large on the cylinder. A 335 clone perhaps.

Brian

The only thing similar about these machines is they're both sewing machines. The Chinese shoe patcher isn't bad, for what it is, but be aware that the foot will mark the leather as it has aggressive teeth on it. I have one and it took a fair bit of work to tune it (smoothing parts, generally cleaning it up and making a new bobbin winder). It will be limited to size 69 thread and the bobbin is very small. As has been said, if you can only have one machine then based on  what you want to make (ignoring holsters, too heavy for these machines) a 335-type machine is probably your best bet. The patcher has the advantage that you don't need power to use it, but all things considered out of the two the Juki would be the better choice, in my opinion.

Edited by dikman

I think we need to help and discuss a bit. 

The juki in your post doesnt look like a 273

maybe this below can help in that. 

But i will agree a cylinder arm machine would be an advantage for you. I am interested no matter in "what the real number is on that juki"

Floyd

https://www.google.com/search?q=juki+273&client=safari&channel=iphone_bm&prmd=svmin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiE7-_B9sjVAhUCxmMKHSNoDTMQ_AUIEygE&biw=375&bih=559&dpr=3#imgrc=3aouyUkYy2FwGM:

14 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

A 335 clone perhaps.

a link?... not sure what brand that machine is...

Adam in your post photos the top being the patcher; the bottom looks to be a late model Juki 241 possibly, but it for sure is not a 273. You could consider the 273 to weigh twice of that machine probably. The 273 is the Flat style rather than the Cylinder style of the venerable Juki 441

here from a past post is a Pfaff 335

335-ebay_2.jpg

Good day 

Floyd

Edited by brmax

There have been a few manufacturers who have copied the Pfaff 335 design. If you look for cylinder arm machines on various manufacturers' websites and find one with 335 somewhere in the description it's a safe bet that it's a 335 clone. I don't know what brands you have access to over there but look at their websites.

its sad i'll never get to afford that machine. 

3 hours ago, AdamGadut said:

its sad i'll never get to afford that machine. 

I am  sad to hear that, and I have to say if you really believe that then that is most likely the truth.

The Chinese Patcher is , in my opinion, far and away the best machine available for the price. It is VERY rough when it arrives and needs some deburring, polishing and tinkering. I have modified mine to operate either by hand or with electric drill and have 20 minutes and $2 in a great small flatbed for it. From the smallest thread to 138. Yes, 138 . Do it all the time. Get to know it, love it. Same money as taking your girl to the county fair for a long day.

3 hours ago, mark66 said:

The Chinese Patcher is , in my opinion, far and away the best machine available for the price. It is VERY rough when it arrives and needs some deburring, polishing and tinkering. I have modified mine to operate either by hand or with electric drill and have 20 minutes and $2 in a great small flatbed for it. From the smallest thread to 138. Yes, 138 . Do it all the time. Get to know it, love it. Same money as taking your girl to the county fair for a long day.

i think i'm gona give this a go. That flat bed certainly gives me an idea for a DIY, the machine can become a flatbed anytime.