Hello, everybody!

Now I know this isn't much to show off, but I thought I'd show it anyway.

I finally got an Al Stohlman head knife and made up a case for it. It's not a fancy showpiece, just a case to protect the blade. I didn't want to spend a lot of time making the edges pretty. 

Let me know what you think!

Thanks for looking!

-Ryan

20170811_223624.thumb.jpg.c2a06e9154f26ddca69323604d34165e.jpg

20170811_225112.thumb.jpg.20b0de0fcb19abebce842a16e6c59413.jpg

Should do the job alright. Have fun with the sharpening;)

3 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

Should do the job alright. Have fun with the sharpening;)

Thanks. I just got it and it's pretty sharp as it is. However, would you just keep it sharp by stropping it with jeweler's rouge?

18 minutes ago, Rolandranch said:

Thanks. I just got it and it's pretty sharp as it is. However, would you just keep it sharp by stropping it with jeweler's rouge?

I prefer to polish with Tripoli polishing compound as it is a little more aggressive. I do that about 1 to every 10 or 15 sharpens. Many here won't agree with my methods but it takes me 1 to 2 minutes to sharpen a blade with the belt sander shown (holding the blade away from direction of travel) and 30 sec to polish off. The 100 odd butts shown here would require 2 sharpens to get through them all as  they are fairly firm hide. They have to be straightened before running through the belt cutting machine. Regards Brian

DSC08037_resize.JPG

DSC02160_resize.JPG

DSC02320_resize.JPG

22 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

I prefer to polish with Tripoli polishing compound as it is a little more aggressive. I do that about 1 to every 10 or 15 sharpens. Many here won't agree with my methods but it takes me 1 to 2 minutes to sharpen a blade with the belt sander shown (holding the blade away from direction of travel) and 30 sec to polish off. The 100 odd butts shown here would require 2 sharpens to get through them all as  they are fairly firm hide. They have to be straightened before running through the belt cutting machine. Regards Brian

DSC08037_resize.JPG

DSC02160_resize.JPG

DSC02320_resize.JPG

Ok. Thank you for the info and the pics. That was helpful. As far as the tools, I have a belt sander and a buffing system (and jeweler's rouge). Is that enough to get by when I need to sharpen it?

Thanks for your help!

-Ryan

@RolandranchThe jewellers rouge will do but I find the brown Tripoli faster and less messy. Do not use both polishes on the same buffing wheel.

@tomsmith85717 the grit used is 120 I think but I do smooth it out by grinding down with some old sandpaper as well. New paper tends to bite in and curl the edge to much and takes longer to polish the knife back smooth.

Couple of pics below show the sharpness needed in one of the common tasks I use this knife for.

Last pic shows after counting the fingers and at the end of the day doing a little product testing. Serious ... well someone's gotta do it.

1b.JPG

1c.JPG

h_resize.JPG

DSC03967_resize.JPG

That is awesome! Gator season opens down here next week. I wonder how a head knife would work for skinning one of those monsters......

if you have any gator skins you want to sell drop me a PM