Sorcerer1

Liner for gun belt ?

What is the best ? for lining a gun belt . What oz. to use or use suede .?

Thanks in advance ,

Arley

23 minutes ago, Sorcerer1 said:

Thanks in advance ,

Arley

The answer to you question will be based on what is the original thickness/weight of the main belt leather and what is your desired overall thickness when finished.  One thing to carry forward on any project you undertake is that suede is not a good material for lining as it collects and traps all moisture and dirt which ultimately causes the leather to become glossy and eventually can get to a point where it stiffens and cracks.  Suede looks pretty and it has a very soft and supple feel but it is like a sponge, just not as easy to clean.

The belt  is 8/9 oz . leather  Carries a heavy six gun .

2 hours ago, Sorcerer1 said:

The belt  is 8/9 oz . leather  Carries a heavy six gun .

Might I recommend then that you make this belt as a double layered 8/9 oz.?  If you want to go a bit thinner then you can go down to a 6/7 oz. back liner but if the firearm is on the more heavy side you should go with a double layered version from the same weight leather for maximum rigidity. In the future if you continue to make these gunbelts you may want to consider making them from saddle skirting as it is firmer and thicker from the get go and also wouldn't require you to line it with anything, unless that is your style of course.

Thanks for the info.  I think I'll go with the 6/7 oz.  I'll get some more leather  and start hand stitching it . Going to be about a month though .:crazy:

8 hours ago, Sorcerer1 said:

Thanks for the info.  I think I'll go with the 6/7 oz.  I'll get some more leather  and start hand stitching it . Going to be about a month though .:crazy:

You are welcome.  Good luck on your project and post some shots when you can.

A few of the top holster makers for Cowboy Action Shooting, such as Mernickle ( http://www.mernickleholsters.com/qc/bm_qc.html ) use double 6/7oz (same as their holsters) for the belt leather and then add an additional lining of sued.  The reason:  "Suede lining secures the belt to the body."  which helps it from slipping down on the hips or twisting when moving from station to station on a stage.  Keep in mind that this is for competition shooting, and that CAS rigs are two gun rigs i.e. two strong side holsters, or one strong side holster and a cross draw holster.

On 8/12/2017 at 1:11 PM, Sorcerer1 said:

Thanks in advance ,

Arley

Since you did not say otherwise, . . . I'm assuming by "gun belt" you are talking of carrying a pistol on your person for protection, etc.

The ones I make dedicated for that generally run .180 to .220 in total overall thickness.  That will usually work out as a pair of 6/7 oz blanks, . . . heavy toward the 7, . . . or a 6/7 liner and an 8/9 outside.  I always use a micrometer to check the thickness and if necessary, . . . run them through the skinning machine and make them a tad thinner.  

You will have no worries about it as it will carry a pair of 8 inch barreled .44 mags, . . . with no trouble.

I've seen suede lined gun belts, . . . and personally I would not walk across the room to get one.  If the belt is properly curved like John Bianchi teaches, . . . it is practically impossible to fall off your hips.  Those that do, . . . . simply are not properly curved, . . . or the person wearing it is wearing it too loose.

May God bless,

Dwight