mixmkr

juki lu 562 thread guides

My thread keeps jumping out of my last two thread guides when sewing.  The one right above the needle and the next further up.  I can see the slack  that occurs and sometimes it is configured that the slack "loop" finds its' way out of the guide.  Typically the one above the needle doesn't seem to affect the quality of the stitch.... always...  but still.

Is there a way to lessen the amount of slack between each stitch?  The take up spring on the tension assembly doesn't seem to cure things as I increase its' tension.  Probably adjusting the wrong thing.   

Lastly, I typically have been using 138 equivalent PTFE threads....and with it being stiffer never really had this issue.  I've decided to go with a lighter weight (92 equiv), to save on bobbin changes and the thread is expensive at about $200lb spool.  It's with this weight that this problem started occurring.  Also, the machine is sewing great....no issues other than this when switching to a more flexible thread.

Ideas?

My first thought would have been the takeup/check spring. If the stitches are coming out ok then it means you've got the tensions right, there's not much else I can think of. That spring has a couple of adjustments - travel and tension - and if either one is wrong for the thread you're using you'll probably get slack thread. I think.

It might have to much gap in these two guides where the thread can be slid behind or over to install. 

I recall the upper guide can be tough pulling the thead behind to install. Possibly that one has been bent out, if i remember correctly its positioned into a hole actually and may have been bent out.

Some times i have had the loop catch on a tensioner nut, and so understand this can be a real pain. 

In looking at other photos early this morning im not familar with the circle type at the lower position. 

Floyd

The lowest needle guide us new.  Like i said this happened when i went from 138 to 92 thread weight

I messed with the spring some more..stopping point... Its much better now but not 100% cured.  If i sew 3 ft (marine canvas) I'll usually reposition my material and 5% of the time it has popped out of the guide.  But i dont know until I stop the machine...and my stitches are still ok.  Just unsettling.