ByNelson

The dogs needed new collars

So my Australian shepherd and her young partner in crime, needed some new collars... made them in brown veg leather with 6 mm padding wrapped in black pigskin... I'm fairly happy with the outcome :) 

IMG_7490.JPG

Those are nice looking collars!  A couple of questions:

1. Did you machine sew right over the D rings?  I have not tried sewing a D ring with a machine.

2. Looks like you folded the pigskin around the padding and then sewed it to the veg tan with the seam inside  - is this correct?  Looks nice and cushioned.

3.  Seems to me that with the D ring positioned opposite the buckle and unpadded part of the collar, when you hook a leash onto the D ring, you lose the benefit of the padding because the buckle will be pulled up against the neck.  I have positioned D rings on collars I make near the buckle for this reason.  I'm learning and trying to understand the reasons behind some of the designs I see posted.

Thanks for posting!

1: I don't machine sewed anything, its sewn with my bare hands :)

2: I glued the padding to the pigskin and turned the ugliest side against the bag of the veg.. then I used an awl, to penetrate the veg and the pigskin... 

3: And yes you are right... normally I would too.... but for the dog intended it doesn't matter cause they really don't pull :) and thought it looked nice... 

And thanks for making a comment, hope my answer helped! 

Lucky dogs! It's a shame they don't realize what nice accessories they have! I'm sure it's just a collar to them. 

That's how I feel when I do a collar, it's for the owner, actually! And I know they appreciate the extra time and care that went into them. I really have to bite the bullet and make a lined one, I've been putting it off to long.

Thanks for showing us your collars!

53 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Lucky dogs! It's a shame they don't realize what nice accessories they have! I'm sure it's just a collar to them. 

That's how I feel when I do a collar, it's for the owner, actually! And I know they appreciate the extra time and care that went into them. I really have to bite the bullet and make a lined one, I've been putting it off to long.

Thanks for showing us your collars!

I'm surprised how easy it is so just do it :)

11 hours ago, ByNelson said:

1: I don't machine sewed anything, its sewn with my bare hands :)

2: I glued the padding to the pigskin and turned the ugliest side against the bag of the veg.. then I used an awl, to penetrate the veg and the pigskin... 

3: And yes you are right... normally I would too.... but for the dog intended it doesn't matter cause they really don't pull :) and thought it looked nice... 

And thanks for making a comment, hope my answer helped! 

Your hand stitching looks very good.  Now I think I will try using padding inside a collar!  What kind of padding material did you use?

5 hours ago, garypl said:

Your hand stitching looks very good.  Now I think I will try using padding inside a collar!  What kind of padding material did you use?

Thanks, I try to do well in my stitching :)

Padding is made of 6mm Polyethylen foam wrapped in pigskin ... 

@ByNelson Great looking work you did here. Curious, how has the foam padding held up over time? Than you for the consideration. 

On 2/6/2018 at 6:00 AM, bullmoosepaddles said:

@ByNelson Great looking work you did here. Curious, how has the foam padding held up over time? Than you for the consideration. 

It holds up perfectly... no problem at all... the dogs still use them every day :)