whitakermk

Anyone Ever Rotated, or shifted over, a Wide Strap on a Smaller Skiver?

I have an antique Osborne skiver/splitter that can handle up to about 4 inchs. Mostly do 1" - 2" wide straps.  I'm about to retire it as it's damaged, guy that sharpened blades retired and passed, would rather shelve it than completely break it - or cut myself when the brackets holding it to my work table finally break off fully. 

My question is if anyone has used a smaller skiver - like the picture of the cheap style I see on ebay - for a strap wider than the blade. I was thinking for a lot of my smaller duty pieces I could split a 2" strap - rotate it - not flip it and split the other side. Not talking about length - as in top to bottom - but side to side., Or, since the mouth is wide enough, simply bring the strap back, slide it over a bit, pull through a second time to split a wider piece of leather. Kind of like mowing grass.

Was hoping to find something to hold me over until could purchase a larger replacement for my classic.

Thanks everyone!

aaaaaskiver.jpg

I have  Brockman parer which is similar to the one shown, it will not do heavy leathers as the blades are very fragile as they are designed to shave hair not leather. The lighter thinner leather is ok and can easily be shaved down. The leather needs to be flexed as it is pulled through the blade and care is needed as it is easy to cut right through or scalp an area ruining the strap. Blades need to be replaced frequently as pulling harder will distort the leather. 

With the splitter is it the blade or the actual frame that is damaged. The blade can be reground (talk to a wood tool supplier) and the frame can be welded even if it is cast.

Depending on the leather I would repair the splitter or replace it with a splitter as the parer does different leather.

1 minute ago, fivewayswelshcobs said:

I have  Brockman parer which is similar to the one shown, it will not do heavy leathers as the blades are very fragile as they are designed to shave hair not leather. The lighter thinner leather is ok and can easily be shaved down. The leather needs to be flexed as it is pulled through the blade and care is needed as it is easy to cut right through or scalp an area ruining the strap. Blades need to be replaced frequently as pulling harder will distort the leather. 

With the splitter is it the blade or the actual frame that is damaged. The blade can be reground (talk to a wood tool supplier) and the frame can be welded even if it is cast.

Depending on the leather I would repair the splitter or replace it with a splitter as the parer does different leather.

Thanks Fiveways - the osborne has a crack on the bottom, both eyelets for screwing onto the table are broken - using a pipe fitting clamp and washers over the eyelets to hold in place. I've kept it together for years - but it's time to pay it some honor and retire. I get my sides taken down to the use needed - 3/4 5/6 up to 10/12 ounce depending on job - so I figure the thick stuff would not work - but maybe thinner - low weight bellies, latigo straps etc.

Researching the hand crank splitter from High-tech, or Cowboy, something like that - but can't find any actual reviews on them aside from the demo vids from the sales guy. I'm a big believer on actual consumer reviews.

Might bridge the gap for now with the basic splitter/skiver from Tandy - HighTech Craft Tool Splitter

I have the Cowboy 800 splitter. Technically it's a lap skiver, which is all I use it for now that I have a crank splitter. However if like me you are blessed with more determination than brains it is possible to split 4" straps with one. I think now there is a version with a locking wheel but mine doesn't, I just added a screw on the end of the handle and kept adding weight plates until the roller held firm against the limit screw. Then a wide-mouth pair of mole grips, boot firmly against the bench and a quick swig of beer tea and thing would come through, so long as the blade was in good nick.

Of course, as fivewayswelshcobs says, your Osborne can probably be brazed. Got any pics?

13 minutes ago, Matt S said:

I have the Cowboy 800 splitter. Technically it's a lap skiver, which is all I use it for now that I have a crank splitter. However if like me you are blessed with more determination than brains it is possible to split 4" straps with one. I think now there is a version with a locking wheel but mine doesn't, I just added a screw on the end of the handle and kept adding weight plates until the roller held firm against the limit screw. Then a wide-mouth pair of mole grips, boot firmly against the bench and a quick swig of beer tea and thing would come through, so long as the blade was in good nick.

Hey Matt, is this the crank splitter you mentioned? This is the one I'm looking for some reviews on. Thanks - Kent

aaaaa8020.jpg

5 minutes ago, whitakermk said:

Hey Matt, is this the crank splitter you mentioned? This is the one I'm looking for some reviews on. Thanks - Kent

aaaaa8020.jpg

Alas no, I haven't got the space for that. Looks grand though. I found a vintage 7.5" crank splitter which works for most of my purposes, and the price was acceptable. Would love to hear others' opinions of that big Cowboy 8020 though!