Two tote bags and a belt I finished a couple of weeks ago as gifts for my mom, sister and nephew.  Delivered them to New Brunswick last week.  The body of the tote is the same, but these were practice pieces, allowing me to vary the pocket styles and straps/fasteners.  I think I might do one more of this style for my daughter who is going back to University in a couple of weeks, then change it up a bit.

tote6.JPG

tote5.JPG

tote4.JPG

tote1.JPG

tote2.JPG

tote3.JPG

tote7.JPG

tote8.JPG

tote9.JPG

belt1.JPG

belt2.JPG

Very nice. Lovely and clean.. as someone who has a couple of daughters who would like something like this could I ask what type and weight of leather it is and did I you have to skive the top where you folded it over?

Absolutely beautiful!!

16 hours ago, ByNelson said:

I really like your bags, beautiful work :) lovely stitching.. machine?

Thank you, all hand stitched.  I used 1.0mm Ritza for both bags, and some 0.5mm Maine Thread for the pocket of the mottled bag to break up the chunkiness of the 1.0mm thread.  Stitching the straps alone takes as long as crafting the rest of the bag, but the stitching is well worth the extra time and effort, IMO.  Really elevates the look of the bag, and makes the straps much more substantial.

Edited by kncorey

13 hours ago, Dunluce said:

Very nice. Lovely and clean.. as someone who has a couple of daughters who would like something like this could I ask what type and weight of leather it is and did I you have to skive the top where you folded it over?

Thank you, I used something called Cognac Hennessy for the rust coloured bag (Acadia Leather).  It is about 5oz., chrome-tanned, and for that rolled seam I ran my stitching groover along the middle of the fold a few times to get it to lie down nicely.  For the mottled bag I used a random hide I picked up from Tandy, it's about 3/4 oz (I think a veg re-tan) and that one didn't need anything when I rolled the edge.  The handles for both bags are laminated, the rust coloured having a black chrome-tanned top and a dyed veg bottom.  The mottled bag has a dyed veg top and thinner chrome-tanned bottom (upholstery leather).  I'm sure your daughters would appreciate them, they were well received!

11 hours ago, x101airborne said:

Absolutely beautiful!!

Thanks!

Very pretty work!!

On 16/08/2017 at 1:11 PM, kncorey said:

Thank you, I used something called Cognac Hennessy for the rust coloured bag (Acadia Leather).  It is about 5oz., chrome-tanned, and for that rolled seam I ran my stitching groover along the middle of the fold a few times to get it to lie down nicely.  For the mottled bag I used a random hide I picked up from Tandy, it's about 3/4 oz (I think a veg re-tan) and that one didn't need anything when I rolled the edge.  The handles for both bags are laminated, the rust coloured having a black chrome-tanned top and a dyed veg bottom.  The mottled bag has a dyed veg top and thinner chrome-tanned bottom (upholstery leather).  I'm sure your daughters would appreciate them, they were well received!

Thanks!

kncory,

Thanks for the detailed reply. 2mm (5oz) seemed a bit thick to me but I assume chrome tan is more flexible, I have never actually used it. Perhaps it's time I invested in some; one of them has a birthday coming up!