candyleather

Show us your home-made leatherworking tools!

There was a similar thread recently under 'How Do I Do That' so here is my similar reply.

I'm a bit of a dinosaur and a technophobe, and I've yet to learn how to use my digital camera and post pictures, but I hope my written descriptions will give you some ideas.

Not really homemade, but home - improved.

I have a knife I use exclusively for leatherwork. It's an old Stanley knife, with a smooth handle that tapers slightly from the hole end towards the blade; Stanley 199A. I find it particularly comfortable; they don't make it any more, I got it for £1 in a car boot sale. I fettled it with a small file & abrasive paper to remove any moulding faults, scratches, and to make sure the two halves mated well with flat surfaces; then sprayed it with car touch up paint.

Although the blades are disposable I found a few that fit well without wobbling and re-sharpen them; they seem to get better that way.

I have Tandy stitching chisels in the 88046 range. I polished & fettled those with a needle file & wet & dry paper

Got an old decorator's putty knife at a car boot sale for 50p, Rather battered & rusty. Cleaned it up, cut the blade at an angle and sharpened it with files, oilstones & strop. That is my skiving knife. It is a good one, with a proper forged blade, brass bolster and, I think, a rosewood handle.

I have two scratch awls. One is an old dart head, the other is a piece of hard steel rod that was part of a magazine binder. Cut & sharpened it. Handles are from an old file, and an old vegetable peeler.

Made a strop from scrap wood & some split leather that came as part of a job lot. For sharpening compound I use Autosol chrome polish.

Made a sewing pony from scrap wood and odds & ends. I don't use a bolt or clamp to hold it together, I use several turns of 1/2" elastic that came from some old waterproof overtrousers; wrapped round like a big rubber band. Not very pretty, but it does the job.

I use the glass oven door off an old cooker for skiving, but I don't do any stamping, tooling, or carving.

I had a cheap & nasty block plane with pressed steel body & plastic fittings. It's fiddly to use and I don't like it so I dumped everything except the blade, which seems quite good. Sometime soon I might try making the blade into a skiving knife or a Japanese style leather knife

Made a flat leather burnisher & edge slicker, based on pictures on websites. Wood was a broken axe handle

Speaking of improvising or using tools for other purposes, I have been reliably informed by a professional saddler that a head knife is just about the best thing ever for cutting up a pizza.

Edited by zuludog

BearMan,

Great pieces of work. Thanks for posting.

I have a question please. How well does the awl holder work? I make a good number of long straight stitch lines. I have recently suffered fairly severe damage to my right wrist. I am thinking the repair surgery will affect how well my wrist functions in the future. A machine like that would be of a great help I would think.

Thank you again

Gene

aka Bullmoose

If you think you might have problems with the traditional hand held saddler's awl you could use a stitching chisel, though you might need to finish or tidy up the holes with an awl. Make sure you get a stitching chisel, not a lacing chisel or a pricking iron.

Search YouTube for Armitage Leather. There are reviews & demonstrations of pricking irons & stitching chisels; 'Part 1 Tandy' is good for showing holes without the use of an awl, but they are all worth watching

Could use a small drill like a Dremel. Start with 1.5 mm drills and see how you go.

If you fancy a device like BearMan's Rapid Repeater, search Google for 'hand drill press' and a lot of the work will have been done for you. Then make an adapter to take the awl blade.

If you wish you could use a Dremel drill press + drill then that's the job more or less done.

BTW - congratulations, BearMan, your Repeater looks an excellent piece of work! As are the other tools you have shown.

Edited by zuludog