I'm relatively new to the world of sewing and I've begun to get my Singer 111W113 back in working order after having it in storage for the past two years. When I bought the machine back in 2014 everything was aligned and the outer presser foot operated properly. While putting everything back together I'm realizing that the outer foot has far too much clearance, especially when sewing a few layers of material. I'm currently working with a lot of Cordura and heavy canvas for making bags. 6+ layers of Cordura are thick enough to make contact with the outer foot and provide pressure. Less material just slides around freely.

I've made attempts to adjust the height of this bar but it seems to be in it's lowest possible position. Is there more to adjusting the outer foot pressure / clearance than just the screw on the top rear of the machine? Thanks in advance!

111w113_outerpresserfoot_high.jpg

111w113_outerpresserfoot_low.jpg

Edited by ultimind
sentance

Which screw are you talking about? The screw that adjusts the rocking arm at the back is the usual way of adjusting the feet. The height of the bar holding the foot can also be adjusted from inside, but it can be a bit fiddly because, in my experience, all these adjustments tend to be interlinked.

1 hour ago, dikman said:

Which screw are you talking about? The screw that adjusts the rocking arm at the back is the usual way of adjusting the feet. The height of the bar holding the foot can also be adjusted from inside, but it can be a bit fiddly because, in my experience, all these adjustments tend to be interlinked.

This is the screw I've been fiddling with to adjust the feet. I've noticed they're very much interlinked and I have only had luck moving things up but not further down beyond where I've got them now.

111W113_TOPADJUST.jpg

Aside from manually increasing the resting position of the outside presser foot and trying to set the inside to outside foot lift positions with the big screw on the back, that's about all the adjustment your machine has. You are best off balancing the lift of the feet, with the presser just barely making contact with the top of the throat plate when the feeder drops below the top.

There are much later model 111 machines that have an internal foot lift ratio adjustment inside the body. In fact, I saw a mention of it in a recent topic on this very forum. But, your older model probably doesn't have that collar, which is inside the machine.

Modern triple feed walking foot machines have a different method of alternating the feet and most allow a wider range of alternating foot lifts.

I had the same issue with my 111W117, it looks like the innards are the same. I loosened the screw at the back (photo 1) and adjusted the bar down that the presser foot is attached to (slides in collar in red, photo 2). You may need to adjust the locking collar in yellow, which the presser spring pushes on.

2a.jpg.9788fab01b288cbcce684b88a704e06d.jpg

1a.jpg.bfbeda75b54ad90900df2f45c59c157d.jpg

Be aware that it is probably going to require a bit of adjusting/readjusting of these screws, in conjunction with the one you've already adjusted, to get it working right. Be careful that the crank arm (above red circle) doesn't bind on the edge of the housing where it goes through the slot. By doing this you will reduce the height under the foot a little. IF you decide to do this and you get in a mess don't blame me, you've been warned!

6 hours ago, dikman said:

I had the same issue with my 111W117, it looks like the innards are the same. I loosened the screw at the back (photo 1) and adjusted the bar down that the presser foot is attached to (slides in collar in red, photo 2). You may need to adjust the locking collar in yellow, which the presser spring pushes on.

2a.jpg.9788fab01b288cbcce684b88a704e06d.jpg

1a.jpg.bfbeda75b54ad90900df2f45c59c157d.jpg

Be aware that it is probably going to require a bit of adjusting/readjusting of these screws, in conjunction with the one you've already adjusted, to get it working right. Be careful that the crank arm (above red circle) doesn't bind on the edge of the housing where it goes through the slot. By doing this you will reduce the height under the foot a little. IF you decide to do this and you get in a mess don't blame me, you've been warned!

This adjustment seems to do the trick. The long presser spring wasn't under quite enough tension to press the outer foot down to where it needed to be for thin fabric. I'm now sewing as thin as 2 layers of 500D Cordura as well as 6 layers of heavy canvas and have grip from the outer walking foot while the needle is advancing. 

Thanks all for your insights! So many screws that seem undocumented in the original manual or any clone manuals of later machines. 

Glad you got it sorted. The mechanics of these machines can seem a bit daunting at first, but it's worth spending the time trying to understand the operations of the particular machine that one is using. At least these older machines, for the most part, are simpler than many of the newer ones.