I havent posted anything in a while and sold this one off just a bit ago and figured that again it might jostle someones imagination on what can be inlay. So I do a basketweave where I alternatly hand paint some of the weave so it looks kinda like woven straw(ish) Its fun and people really seem to like it but I thought well why not do it in straw and  had a genuine Panama straw hat I didnt use much anymore and it was sacrificed to the experiment. I did 6 spi and in hind sight I think I would have liked 5 but .. maybe the next one.

Black body with Toquilla straw inlay  and cigar colored stitching. Add 1911and you are good

Couple of other pix here if anyone is interested

http://www.boriqualeather.com/Gallery/index.php/Leather-Holsters/Panama-Straw

Panama%20Straw%203.JPG?m=1501168949

Panama%20Straw%201.JPG?m=1501168967

Nice!

If you are doing the straw yourself anyway, you could do different colors and make either a camo pattern or a rattlesnake pattern, or a copperhead pattern, or on and on....

What would you charge someone for a holster like that? Interested.

Perhaps I misunderstood but I didnt weave the straw. I just cut a section out of a hat I had. I post things hoping to spark someones imagination. My very small contribution to the site. When you are out and about look for interesting textures. I made this about 25 years ago so its certainly not my best work but the inlay was some coconut hair I found under a palm tree in Puerto Rico. I just thought it was cool looking.

0002.jpg

I have seen shark and ostrich and elephant to death. Its beautiful and if the maker is good makes a tremendous final product but how boring it would be if we all did the same stuff.

I am pretty cheap on pricing and that holster sold for $85 plus shipping because I was so disappointed with my stitching choice. Had I loved the piece I would have sold it for $125.00 and I am fortunate to sell just about everything I make.

Now THAT is impressive! I'm ready to go out and get a panama hat. I clicked on the link and said "WOW", the trophy wife also said that, and she isn't that into holsters. She has one, she likes it, she's done. (I have NO idea what that must be like!)

i love them both! is the straw and the coconut fiber backed?

3 minutes ago, kiwican said:

i love them both! is the straw and the coconut fiber backed?

Absolutely.

I really like the artistic touch to this using other materials

Impressive.  And last I heard, genuine Panama hats are getting harder to come by as there are fewer and fewer makers.  Also, this is driving up the $$, so that was a pretty expensive sacrifice for an experiment, but dang, well done!  I like the idea of using different mediums as inlays.... going to keep that one in the back of my mind for future reference!

YinTx

10 hours ago, YinTx said:

Impressive.  And last I heard, genuine Panama hats are getting harder to come by as there are fewer and fewer makers.  Also, this is driving up the $$, so that was a pretty expensive sacrifice for an experiment, but dang, well done!  I like the idea of using different mediums as inlays.... going to keep that one in the back of my mind for future reference!

YinTx

I have 4 others and I just bought a REALLY Really nice straw hat so I didnt mind sacrificing one that I had enjoyed and was ready for retirement. I have enough material left to do about 3 more holster or ??? So more experimenting to come and maybe next time I wont hate the stitching.

On 8/17/2017 at 5:18 PM, Boriqua said:

Perhaps I misunderstood but I didnt weave the straw. I just cut a section out of a hat I had. I post things hoping to spark someones imagination. My very small contribution to the site. When you are out and about look for interesting textures. I made this about 25 years ago so its certainly not my best work but the inlay was some coconut hair I found under a palm tree in Puerto Rico. I just thought it was cool looking.

0002.jpg

I have seen shark and ostrich and elephant to death. Its beautiful and if the maker is good makes a tremendous final product but how boring it would be if we all did the same stuff.

I am pretty cheap on pricing and that holster sold for $85 plus shipping because I was so disappointed with my stitching choice. Had I loved the piece I would have sold it for $125.00 and I am fortunate to sell just about everything I make.

I own that same knife and was recently thinking that the cordura sheath it came with might be an appropriate tactical choice, but certainly not a good aesthetic one.

I had a good straw hat once. A goat ate it

On 8/17/2017 at 6:18 PM, Boriqua said:

0002.jpg

With your pricing I'm not surprised you sell everything you make. Your work is exceptional, and worth every penny.  Love the creativity of both the straw and the coconut.  You've sparked my imagination, now I need to try to bring it to a finished product.

On 8/17/2017 at 0:20 PM, Boriqua said:

I havent posted anything in a while and sold this one off just a bit ago and figured that again it might jostle someones imagination on what can be inlay. So I do a basketweave where I alternatly hand paint some of the weave so it looks kinda like woven straw(ish) Its fun and people really seem to like it but I thought well why not do it in straw and  had a genuine Panama straw hat I didnt use much anymore and it was sacrificed to the experiment. I did 6 spi and in hind sight I think I would have liked 5 but .. maybe the next one.

Black body with Toquilla straw inlay  and cigar colored stitching. Add 1911and you are good

Couple of other pix here if anyone is interested

http://www.boriqualeather.com/Gallery/index.php/Leather-Holsters/Panama-Straw

Panama%20Straw%203.JPG?m=1501168949

Panama%20Straw%201.JPG?m=1501168967

I haven't been around in quite awhile. So today I log back in to see what folks are up to.

The first thing I see is your holster post.

I just have to say  WOW!

That's very nice work, and great thinking outside the box!

Joel

Is that hand stitching on holster, very nice

On 8/26/2017 at 8:40 PM, Wykoni said:

Is that hand stitching on holster, very nice

Thank you for your kind works everyone!

Yup that is hand stitched ... Not my best though and I just kind of shy my eyes away a little when I look at the pic :unsure:

Well, that's just completely Awesome.

Great job.

That is stunning! 

I've thought once or twice about inlaying different materials into a bridle, but always worried about what would happen when I go to clean/oil it later... I don't trust myself not ruin everything. Your work is inspiring though...