Beautiful stitching and I think that bag is quite safe being with your helper there. :rolleyes2: I was wondering how you would go stitching the zip in without being pre glued into place but your competency keeps showing through. Brian

9 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

Beautiful stitching and I think that bag is quite safe being with your helper there. :rolleyes2: I was wondering how you would go stitching the zip in without being pre glued into place but your competency keeps showing through. Brian

Thank you so much! Yes, he's a big baby but also a great security system lol. That's an interesting idea on the zipper, do you stitch without pre-gluing on certain items? I'm open to any suggestions - I'd love to improve the look of the zip. 

No most things we stitch are glued and set into place before stitching. One exception is the circular coin purses which I think can be seen on my u tube. I hate doing them so leave it to the more adequate women here. Hope none of them read this:wub:. I would have left the zip completely separated and glued each strip to the liner piece first then to the outer and then joined at the zip bottom. But if I were doing more than the one I would make up a board to 3/4" or so thick to that shape and use it to keep the zip in shape and even on both edges and use it to tap down on where the glue holds it in shape. Though these pictures attached  are not quite the same the principle is the same. To cap - zip to liner - liner to outer. Hope that is of some help. Just found a pic of my helper "Molley" who is worn out from toooo much guard duty I guess:unsure: Brian

DSC08081_resize.JPG

DSC08085_resize.JPG

DSC08092_resize.JPG

DSC08099_resize.JPG

DSC08108_resize.JPG

Molly dog.JPG

Thank you so much, Brian! As always, really appreciate you taking the time to share your processes, very enlightening.  I like the idea of zip to liner, then out, using the internal form. I think it's time I taught myself to use some form of drawing / CAD software, then go bug a mate with a 3D printer (although Xmas is coming up soon..... :rolleyes:)

poor Molley looks so stressed, such a hard life I'm sure ;)

Final touch - small tassel out of dyed kangaroo lace, with a five part four bight Turk's-head knot. I stitched the top of the loop with a few stitches to keep the laces together, then folded in half, and worked the knot over the top.  Hardware from @buckleguy

IMG_0271.JPG

Cant do that but I like it a lot.:) Brian

21 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Cant do that but I like it a lot.:) Brian

Thanks!! :rolleyes: The knots are fiddly but fun

Nice knot, I like tying them myself, I use paracord though because I don't have any lace thin enough haha.

On 9/12/2017 at 0:23 AM, Stetson912 said:

Nice knot, I like tying them myself, I use paracord though because I don't have any lace thin enough haha.

Thanks! Paracord can work nicely, made a couple of bracelets for the family using cord. Cheaper than lace too lol. 

Very much cheaper haha. 

In case anyone's interested, below is a photo of the pattern parts I drafted for the bag.  I haven't included the small pieces for the strap rings; those I just cut from small scraps of leather. Also, this was only ever intended for personal use, and while I lay absolutely no claims to the producibility of this design (in fact the opposite lol), I'd prefer it stay for personal use only in the slim chance someone does use it :yes:

IMG_0282.JPG

Really beautiful.  (I think I will sell all of my leather working tools now.  I am not worthy.!)   Hahaha  Your work INSPIRES me!  Thank you for sharing.

11 hours ago, ryankim3612 said:

Really beautiful.  (I think I will sell all of my leather working tools now.  I am not worthy.!)   Hahaha  Your work INSPIRES me!  Thank you for sharing.

Thanks so much! The least I can do, I've learnt so much from this forum, just glad it's of interest :) . Ha - keep the tools! Tho' if you're anything like me, its amazing how all the tools / spare parts / gear from different hobbies add up quick lol. And what you need most is always at the bottom of the pile....