Carrie88

Which servo motor should I buy in Australia?

Hi all, 

I have a consew 226R and I'm ready to put a servo motor on it for more control. My problem is that most of the recommended motors on leather forums, like the Reliable motors (which seem reasonable for well under $200au), are all for sale overseas or on ebay. Whilst some of them look like they have the voltage option for Australia, which is 220v, I can't tell if they would then have an Australian plug. The motors that are for sale from Australian vendors all look extremely expensive to me by comparison, around $400au.

I'd really appreciate any info from fellow Aussie leather workers who have been down this path. And from anyone else too of course, if you have seen this type of question before. 

Regards, Carrie. 

Can you post a link to the motor you are looking at? It's a 2 minute job to change a plug.

This was posted in another section -

They will be more expensive here (as is everything) because of the logistics involved for people selling them. As mentioned, changing a plug is easy (if you know what you're doing) but I'm sure you could find a friend who does know how if you're not sure.

Hi, 

Well this brand - https://reliablecorporation.com/collections/motors - seems to get good reviews on a few different sewing forums, I was particularly reading some threads on the hotrodders.com forum in the upholstry section. There are a few sellers of these on ebay and other sites. I was looking at this one - http://www.allbrands.com/products/10568-reliable-sewquiet-6000sm-variable-speed-dc-servo-m - where they retail at $199US.

In Australia I was looking at these - http://www.sewingmachinesaustralia.com.au/shop/buy-accessories/motors/ho-hsing-g60-servo-motor.html - at $425 which is really a lot more than I was hoping to pay. 

I just don't want to order something online and have it turn up and feel like a dummy because I didn't consider something important.

Carrie

The US one is the wrong voltage for Aus. $199 USD is $251 AUD atm. Postage from the US is horrendous. You may be looking at $100 postage even if you could get it in 220V.. I just checked the Reliable site and you can get it in 220V.

I'll have a look at some of the EBay ones.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220V-Energy-Saving-Mute-Brushless-Servo-Motor-for-Industrial-Sewing-Machine-/162491283593?hash=item25d53c3889:g:Fn8AAOSwRUhZABCN

This one comes in at less than $200. I would take a punt and give this a try but I am an electrician and comfortable with messing with it to get it to work if I had to.

My Consew 226R has an Efka servo off a Juki 555 that I picked up for nothing. I had to modify the machine and the servo a bit to get it working. It wasn't a straight change over.

Ho-hsing are generally considered to be a very good motor. That one doesn't include GST - another $42 - + shipping?

This is where I bought mine - https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Energy-Saving-Brushless-Servo-Motor-TD-422-550W/1088544_1606343305.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.2995e5c0iwbxBR

$180 for a 550 watt, for another $30 you can get a 750 watt.Free shipping. It comes with a 75mm pulley but when I bought mine they were offering a 50 mm instead, not sure if they still are.

NC, a friend bought a 555 and reckons the servo was brilliant, but the machine didn't suit his needs and it was going to be too much trouble to swap the servo over and try and get it working. You've done well, just out of curiosity what was involved in getting it working on the Consew (in case I come across one at a good price :))?

Edited by dikman

I bought one about a month or so back( my second one) and still the same with the 50 mm pulley. Just ask for Aussie plug and they give you a convertor plug. There is a guy selling servo motors on facebook in Australian leathercrafters forum for 300. could be a better bet as covered by Aussie warranty.

3 hours ago, dikman said:

Ho-hsing are generally considered to be a very good motor. That one doesn't include GST - another $42 - + shipping?

This is where I bought mine - https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Energy-Saving-Brushless-Servo-Motor-TD-422-550W/1088544_1606343305.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.2995e5c0iwbxBR

$180 for a 550 watt, for another $30 you can get a 750 watt.Free shipping. It comes with a 75mm pulley but when I bought mine they were offering a 50 mm instead, not sure if they still are.

NC, a friend bought a 555 and reckons the servo was brilliant, but the machine didn't suit his needs and it was going to be too much trouble to swap the servo over and try and get it working. You've done well, just out of curiosity what was involved in getting it working on the Consew (in case I come across one at a good price :))?

Could you tell me are you able to adjust the speed settings on these without being a company  tech. What I mean by that is that I have a similar one on this Cowboy which allows me to do various adjustments up to 15 but that is still way too slow and I can not work out how to make it go up to 50 or 100 or whatever.Brian

Not sure what those numbers mean, Brian. There are lots of adjustments in the "handbook", but only a couple have any effect. One sets the max. speed and the other sets how slow it goes at startup (or something like that, the book is down in my other shed and it's now dark, cold and wet so I'll have a look tomorrow). I do know that the two settings inter-react somewhat, i.e if you set a high max. speed then the startup is faster. I'll post back tomorrow.

Brian, I'll put this in here because it relates to the servo I've mentioned.

599a1b36e24a1_servotablea.thumb.jpg.7597c74d9fbf870f3cf0ac5d510d22f5.jpg

Mine is a two-button control. The first 5 parameters can be accessed, the rest only change when the needle position synchronizer is fitted and turned on (there are others on the next page but they can't be accessed). The first two are the main ones.N.1 has a range of 10-80 (100-800 spm), N.2 from 1-45 (100-4500 spm). These are the values shown on the display, which are different to those in the book!?!

For the two button operation -

press "-" until N.O displayed

press "+" to select the parameter wanted

press "-" to show the value

press "+" or "-" to change value, wait for the display to return.

Is that what you wanted to know?

Thanks everyone, very helpful info. I'll do some more comparisons. Seems like the brand doesn't really matter too much?

Silverback - can you tell me the specific name of the facebook page? I did some general searches for leather Australia but couldn't find much. 

thanks

Carrie, from what I could find out they're much of a muchness. The housing will change (some are all-in-one, some have separate controls and different control panels) but that's about it. I suppose there may be some quality differences, but how one can tell I don't know. I'm interested in this facebook page too (just out of curiosity).

9 hours ago, dikman said:

Brian, I'll put this in here because it relates to the servo I've mentioned.

599a1b36e24a1_servotablea.thumb.jpg.7597c74d9fbf870f3cf0ac5d510d22f5.jpg

Mine is a two-button control. The first 5 parameters can be accessed, the rest only change when the needle position synchronizer is fitted and turned on (there are others on the next page but they can't be accessed). The first two are the main ones.N.1 has a range of 10-80 (100-800 spm), N.2 from 1-45 (100-4500 spm). These are the values shown on the display, which are different to those in the book!?!

For the two button operation -

press "-" until N.O displayed

press "+" to select the parameter wanted

press "-" to show the value

press "+" or "-" to change value, wait for the display to return.

Is that what you wanted to know?

Thanks dikman, It looks a little easier than what I got. When I bought it The seller could not work out how to change the options on site here. He sent me this attachment  a week or 2 later along with explaining that the machine is presently set at running from 3-15 but will run from 3-55. I rang him and said I'm nor sure what to do and was assured that I am very capable and he knows I can work it out. Well I guess I may be alright with mechanical things but with electrical things I am one big nervous Nelly and to be honest too chicken to try playing with it for fear of ending up with a non working machine altogether. This is why I am now contemplating going to a whole new motor set up that I may understand better or at least someone else I know who may be able to help me with it. Does this look easy to you may I ask?Attachment pdf below,

Regards Brian

Cowboy Servo Motor Programming Instructions.....pdf

I see what you mean! Doesn't say much for the seller, imo, makes me think he doesn't understand it either.

Ok, to get into the adjustment setting, press and hold the P key and turn on the power.

It should display SH, which is the first parameter and sets max. speed.(Release the P key when it does).

Press P again, which should let you change the settings. Pressing N will increase the value, S will decrease it. Should go up to 5500 rpm, if the seller is right then it's currently set for 1500 rpm.When you've got the right setting press P again, which exits this parameter. I think this means it will then display SH (which is the current parameter).

Pressing S should change to the next parameter, SL, lower limit of minimum speed. (Pressing S goes forward, N goes back when searching the parameters). If you press P it will enter this parameter and display the current setting. If you don't want to change it press P to exit it.

Once you've changed all that you want to, turn off the power, then turn it back on and you will be back to normal operating with the new settings.

I have no idea what some of those parameters are for, obviously some are for the needle positioning system, but as for the others....

I also found a handbook for this motor (well, the controls are the same at least), don't know if you've got it? Anyhow, look at page 10, those three buttons can be used to change settings without getting into the "technician mode". Top one lets you fiddle with the needle position setting, but if you hold it in for at least 3 seconds it will reverse the motor direction!!! The middle button, Speed Mode switch key, lets you change between two speed modes, low speed and non-low speed (that's what it says). I'm guessing that these setting might be governed by the Kp/Ki parameters, but that's only a guess. It will also let you engage soft start mode.Third one is a Speed Setting key, it looks like you can use it to set the speed between min and max (presumably the settings entered via the "technician mode".

If I had it with me I might be able to figure out some of those parameters - maybe!

Anyhow, hope this helps a bit?

Carrie, apologies for digressing slightly in your thread.

Link to handbook, wouldn't let me download it.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/270478518/Heavy-Duty-Sewing-Machine-Servo-Motor

Edited by dikman

10 hours ago, dikman said:

I see what you mean! Doesn't say much for the seller, imo, makes me think he doesn't understand it either.

Ok, to get into the adjustment setting, press and hold the P key and turn on the power.

It should display SH, which is the first parameter and sets max. speed.(Release the P key when it does).

Press P again, which should let you change the settings. Pressing N will increase the value, S will decrease it. Should go up to 5500 rpm, if the seller is right then it's currently set for 1500 rpm.When you've got the right setting press P again, which exits this parameter. I think this means it will then display SH (which is the current parameter).

Pressing S should change to the next parameter, SL, lower limit of minimum speed. (Pressing S goes forward, N goes back when searching the parameters). If you press P it will enter this parameter and display the current setting. If you don't want to change it press P to exit it.

Once you've changed all that you want to, turn off the power, then turn it back on and you will be back to normal operating with the new settings.

I have no idea what some of those parameters are for, obviously some are for the needle positioning system, but as for the others....

I also found a handbook for this motor (well, the controls are the same at least), don't know if you've got it? Anyhow, look at page 10, those three buttons can be used to change settings without getting into the "technician mode". Top one lets you fiddle with the needle position setting, but if you hold it in for at least 3 seconds it will reverse the motor direction!!! The middle button, Speed Mode switch key, lets you change between two speed modes, low speed and non-low speed (that's what it says). I'm guessing that these setting might be governed by the Kp/Ki parameters, but that's only a guess. It will also let you engage soft start mode.Third one is a Speed Setting key, it looks like you can use it to set the speed between min and max (presumably the settings entered via the "technician mode".

If I had it with me I might be able to figure out some of those parameters - maybe!

Anyhow, hope this helps a bit?

Carrie, apologies for digressing slightly in your thread.

Link to handbook, wouldn't let me download it.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/270478518/Heavy-Duty-Sewing-Machine-Servo-Motor

Thank you so much dikman, I feel a lot more confident to have a go at adjusting it now. I will do so this weekend and let you know how it goes. The handbook is the same as the one I have and will retry with those instructions first. I really can't thank you enough for all this and I hope to be able to return the effort in kind sometime.

I do apologise for temporarily hi-jacking your post Carrie.

No worries, Brian, only too happy to help. Don't forget you sent me those thread samples, at no charge, when I was first trying to understand thread sizes, types and what would work in my machines.:)

On 8/20/2017 at 3:29 PM, dikman said:

It's a bit of a beast of a servo. Pretty heavy. No programming as such. It is set up with several switches and a few trim pots. The main mod I had to do was fit the position/speed sensor to the Consew hand wheel. I couldn't swap the hand wheels over so had to drill and tap the Consew handwheel to mount the sensor bracket. I then drilled and tapped another hole to mount the post that stops the sensor from rotating. I tried running it without the sensor and the motor took off at full speed with no speed adjustment. I then plugged the sensor in but the motor wouldn't run. It needs the feedback from the sensor. I had to modify the belt slot but that was nothing major. The belt was just at a different angle. You then have to set up the sensor for the correct needle position but that is also pretty straight forward. I'l take some photos and post in another thread. Sorry for the hijack Carrie :rolleyes:

There is always the Cowboy HVP-70, 750W servo with 50mm pulley for $345.

PM me your postcode for shipping quote.

DSC_0005.JPG

Servomotor.jpg

Thanks Darren, that looks reasonable. For some reason the messaging function is not working for me. Is there another way I can contact you?

This is a VERY delayed response, but I just wanted to finish this thread by adding what I ended up with. I bought the Ho Hsing motor that I linked to originally. 

http://www.sewingmachinesaustralia.com.au/shop/buy-accessories/motors/ho-hsing-g60-servo-motor.html

I am very happy with it, it was very easy to install, the hardest part was the weight of the sewing machine and the weight of the original motor. The instruction sheet is a little quirky, you kind of have to look very closely for how to operate it and change the speed. I would recommend this motor to anyone who was in the same boat as me, aka giant beastly industrial machine that you can't control :).

One thing I will point out, having just had my machine serviced by a professional - I had the speed control set too low. Apparently this was creating far to much tension in the machine and as a result my thread kept snapping within a few stitches. I now have the speed sitting on 20 which is slow enough to control but allows the machine to run better. Apparently having it set at one or two was likened to driving up the blue mountains in first gear...

Good to hear that you're all sorted out, Carrie (although I find the last paragraph slightly perplexing).

Well I wasn't actually there when the machine was serviced, my partner was so I got the info second hand. The serviceman said that by having my servo motor set only to level 1, which is the slowest it can go, the machine was then putting too much tension on the thread and it kept snapping. By turning the machine up a few levels, this has reduced the tension load placed on the thread by the machine. 

Now as a relative newbie I don't know whether this is poppycock or not :) I do know that my machine is running better now. I gather you may be thinking that it shouldn't matter what speed the servo motor is set at?

I am like Brian, I have never seem problems from sewing to slow, anything heavy I always sew slowly.

Bert.

Carrie, I just looked at the manual for your servo and it has more settings than most that I've seen. Most of them you probably won't use, but generally there is some interaction between things like the max speed that is set and the startup speed setting, it can be trial and error to find out what works best. The main thing is that if it's working for you that's all that matters.

My machines have speed reducers, which also affects the speed settings used and I generally have the servos set for pretty low max speed because that is all I need.

Yes, I still don't understand that statement, but I guess it doesn't matter - it's working and you're happily sewing away!:)