TrentonP

Thoughts on Cricut Maker

This morning one of the girls I work with mentioned that Cricut has a new machine that will cut thicker and more dense materials. She does a lot of vinyl work and is very happy with the Cricut she currently has. This made me wonder if the new machine could be useful for cutting leather. The website states that it can cut up to 2.4 mm balsa wood. I am curious as to how it would do with veg tan leather. What are everyone's thoughts on this? 

Try googling it.  I just found these hits including videos on youtube.

image.png

I already have researched and read on them. I was just curious what everyone here thought about it. There is a new one now which is the Cricut Maker. It will have an new cutting attachment released in October which is very similar to an exacto knife. 

Edited by TrentonP

From what I have read, it will handle only fairly thin leather. While the new machine is an upgrade of the last model, it is still meant mainly for less-dense materials; the "upgrade" will mean that, for some leathers, it will cut in one pass (rather than 2 or 3). If you are trying it on veg tan, I think it still will be 2 passes, minimum.

These machines provide the user with a low-grade, home-model industrial machine. You must either buy company die sets, or use their very simple software; I know what I "want" from their software is something I don't think they will ever provide (complete control to program my own designs), so I still don't find the cost acceptable. For complicated cuts predetermined by a mass market die, using very thin leather, it may be ideal.

- Elizabeth