mixmkr

Measuring error

So...some of my measuring has been slightly off.  Couldnt figure out why.  Then by chance I put a yardstick against the laminated ruler on the side of my machine table...which looked original and well worn.  The table ruler showed 36".... But actually was 37" !! I measured with several different rulers.  The table edge laminated ruler slowly got off.... Until it was a full inch off after 36 inches.  I was totally shocked. Besides a initial poor (streached) installation, any idea why this table ruler is too long? Allow for seam pucker?? I cant imagine intentionally altering the measuring guide.

Anyone else ever seen this?

Ill also say this table has a vendor sticker on it too...but that doesnt really mean anything.  The "clear", laminated ruler had to been installed afterwards and poorly.

Need more detail. Is your ruler a sticker type? I would imagine that a cheap made in China sticker could be both stretched before installation and wrong from the get go.

Every one of the table-edge yardsticks I have are pretty inaccurate...I suspect the vinyl T-molding edge trim that these rules are printed on stretches over time, or was stretched varying amounts at the time of application.  The older green Singer tables as well as the newer gold ones (still ancient) both are useless. The later model tops with their rule printed on the surface laminate seem OK.

-DC

Yes.. A clear "sticker".  I rarely use this ruler.  But it was already on my table when i got my Juki LU 562.  When I do use it...it was usually small amounts to double check....like under 10 inches. But I held up a 22" piece and it was clearly off by about 3/4 inch.  Fortunately ny cut piece was correct as this "sticker" ruler was what was wrong.  Its a nicely made "sticker" as the writing and increments are "raised"... Like you might see on a nice bisiness card etc

Thats interesting.  Needless to say I'm gluing a flat metal ruler at this point

Actually like Sarc's.  This does seem printed directly on the table trim.  Hence my surprise.  It isnt peeling off even with a razor...except the most embossed printing areas

Btw.  Will now need to check MY green Singer table too!

I bought a sticky tape backed yellow tape measure from Wawak and just peeled and stuck it onto tables where and when needed. It as accurate as any tape measure can be.

Maybe they were working shrink to fit textiles :rolleyes:

I have been meaning to get a couple tape measures for tables.

A shop towel with a bit of lacquer thinner will wipe the old measure clean.  

I was curious if anyone had seen a cloth type, but short. Something kind to gelcoat

Floyd

1 hour ago, mixmkr said:

So...some of my measuring has been slightly off.  Couldnt figure out why.  Then by chance I put a yardstick against the laminated ruler on the side of my machine table...which looked original and well worn.  The table ruler showed 36".... But actually was 37" !! I measured with several different rulers.  The table edge laminated ruler slowly got off.... Until it was a full inch off after 36 inches.  I was totally shocked. Besides a initial poor (streached) installation, any idea why this table ruler is too long? Allow for seam pucker?? I cant imagine intentionally altering the measuring guide.

Anyone else ever seen this?

Ill also say this table has a vendor sticker on it too...but that doesnt really mean anything.  The "clear", laminated ruler had to been installed afterwards and poorly.

I don't mean to hijack your thread mixmkr, . . . just a cute anecdote:  

One of our guys in the maintenance shop loved to do projects, . . . make stuff, . . . especially when it was many multiples of the thing.  He also preferred a yard stick over any other measuring instrument.

One of the other guys caught him gone, . . . cut 2 inches off one end of his yard stick, . . . put it back up over the light fixture.  

Harry never paid any attention for about a week, . . . until after all the pieces were cut and he started to assemble the pieces.

Have you ever hear a Chinaman curse profanely?  I'm not sure I did, . . . but could not be certain because I don't know Chinese profanity, . . . but it sure sounded like it might be.

Thanks mismkr, . . . for letting me recall an old memory I had not thought of for a while.

May God bless,

Dwight