I am looking into buying a post sewing machine an was looking at the Atlas brand. Has any of you used one l, if so what is your opinion on how they work

17 minutes ago, wlg190861 said:

I am looking into buying a post sewing machine an was looking at the Atlas brand. Has any of you used one l, if so what is your opinion on how they work

I make a lot of hand bags/purses/totes, and I like the looks of French seams but it is hard on my cb4500 cylinder arm machine. Should I be looking at a single needle or double needle post machine

I've never heard of an Atlas brand sewing machine. It might be a house brand of the dealer who imports them from China.

A double needle can still be used as a single needle machine if necessary, but not vice versa.

You should go for either a compound feed walking foot or top and bottom roller feed, capable of handling up to #138 bonded thread, top and bottom.

8 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

I've never heard of an Atlas brand sewing machine. It might be a house brand of the dealer who imports them from China.

A double needle can still be used as a single needle machine if necessary, but not vice versa.

You should go for either a compound feed walking foot or top and bottom roller feed, capable of handling up to #138 bonded thread, top and bottom.

http://www.atlaslevy.com/Single-Needle-Post-Machine-AtlasUSA-AT810_p_4422.html

Atlas is Atlas Levi's house brand.  A double needle post bed sounds like a good candidate for making bags with french seams. The Atlas AT20T53 is only $1,200 almost too cheap even for a clone - you'll be hard pressed to find anything cheaper in that configuration that still makes a stitch. The ATlas may work just fine, though - I have no first -hand experience with them. Just for reference, I have a nice used Durkopp Adler 268 double needle post bed that I won't let go for under $2,000. My general rule is that a good used original is worth as much as a decent new clone. The Atlas machines are NOT clones of Durkopp Adler machines, just to make that clear.

Edited by Uwe

If it comes with a video on how to thread it ( like that you should pass the thread around the little post that is actually there only to stop the tension discs spinning )...ignore the video..

Atlas..leading people astray with incorrect videos since ..when ever they made their first video.

Edited by mikesc