Zacharyc

Consew 226 issues

can anyone shine some light on the issue I am having? I had a piece of thread jammed in the bottom bobbin casing. The bottom bobbin was not spinning freely. I engaged the safety clutch removed the thread and freed up the bobbin assembly.  I reset the safety clutch. Now the bottom bobbin will move, but when it gets to a certain point. It hits the feed dog plate and will not move anymore. I can see there is a small notch there. I included a photo of the point the handwheel stops turning. If there is another thread for this, could anyone link me to it. I couldn't find it but I am also at my wits end with this sewing machine. Thank you!

- Zach

IMG_5658.JPG

How-To Video For Timing The Hook On An Adler 67/167/267 Class Machine

i dony know if this is similar to yours but iam sure Uwe will know.

not sure but seems the little tongue on your bobbin case it not in the gap of the needle plate - know what I mean?

IMG_1892.JPG

IMG_1894.JPG

Good eyes

There was more thread jammed up than I thought. I had to take the casing out and it turned out to be a  tiny piece of thread about a 1/4" long that was mucking everything up. Timing is still good. Needs the bottom tension adjusted now. I spent an entire afternoon figuring that out. But I learned. And also wanted to scream. Thank you for the responses.

Constabulary is right, that tab must be in the notch on the bottom of the needle plate or it won't work (personal experience here - more than once!!).

G'day,

I know my response is a bit late, but I have a Seiko STW-28B ( converted to single needle ) , pretty much the same as a 226 . But mine is 51 years old....same age as me :( Ha ha !! 

I use mine for horse rug repairs and light to medium leathers. 

Anyway, if that little tongue isn't in the slot in the centre of the plate, nothing works right. Take the plate right out and it spins around like an idiot.... ha !! 

You can only just see the tongue in the pic.  

I've lost count the amount of times I've pulled out bits of thread from underneath the shuttle & bobbin. And it uses  a LOT of oil.  With horse rugs, often dirty ,  its absolutely necessary .

Happy sewing and good luck with your 226

HS :) 

Seiko STW28B  Shuttle Pics 002.jpg

Looking at the bobbin basket one can see the thread slot at the 5:00 position; if sitting at the operator station. Anyway on the same part one can see the tensioner adjustmrnt screw at the 4:30 position on the black tensioner spring ( very tiny, easily lost screw ). To farther right is the mounting screw and not to be messed with for tension adjustmet.

I don't have a manual, and was the priority for myself with my new found machine projects. Possibly a link here on the site somewhere. 

Floyd

Edited by brmax

What Brmax said  :) 

This is off topic I know, but I still have all the components to put it  back to twin needle, but I've never had the need to. 

HS 

Yes, just slightly to the right of the 'thread slot'  , almost obscured . You can just see the tensioner 'passing' over the slot .  But be gentle with it, its just a tiny little screw. I adjusted it using one of those    ' precision' screw drivers. I only needed the slightest turn clockwise , and thats all it took for my old Seiko to work just nicely.  I did that many years ago when I first got the machine  , and thats how its stayed ever since., .It took me an hour of swearing and throwing tools across my workshop to learn  about that  "tiny little screw"  :) 

Feel free to ask any of  us   questions, as  I know how ' hair pullingly * ' frustrating some machines can be. 

* ' hair pullingly ' << new expression I've just made up :) 

Hope this helps , 

HS 

5 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Yes, just slightly to the right of the 'thread slot'  , almost obscured . You can just see the tensioner 'passing' over the slot .  But be gentle with it, its just a tiny little screw. I adjusted it using one of those    ' precision' screw drivers. I only needed the slightest turn clockwise , and thats all it took for my old Seiko to work just nicely.  I did that many years ago when I first got the machine  , and thats how its stayed ever since., .It took me an hour of swearing and throwing tools across my workshop to learn  about that  "tiny little screw"  :) 

Feel free to ask any of  us   questions, as  I know how ' hair pullingly * ' frustrating some machines can be. 

* ' hair pullingly ' << new expression I've just made up :) 

Hope this helps , 

HS 

New swear words will also be invented and tools flung if one inadvertently unscrews the tiny bobbin tension screw all the way and it falls out!

18 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

New swear words will also be invented and tools flung if one inadvertently unscrews the tiny bobbin tension screw all the way and it falls out!

Thankfully, it never got that far :)  

" New swear words will also be invented and tools flung if one....."  .....forgets to fit a vital piece of  hardware  before gluing and stitching and assembling  :blush:  ...but thats another story for another thread . 

HS :)