Leahlovesleather

Crocodile edges. Can you burnish them?

Hello all,  

I have ordered a baby croc. skin and this will be my first time using this leather.  I will make a watch strap and maybe use kangaroo to line it; so I was wondering if I would be able to burnish thin croc and kangaroo together????  Any one know??

I have used Caiman lined with cow and was able to burnish it. Check out the exotics section would be my advice. And experiment on a small piece from the edge of your croc. There are quite a few Aussies On here that can give you better advice than me.

I think crocodile and alligator are a little too soft for burnishing. You may get better results with edge paint. Build up several layers, sanding in-between each layer with finer and finer grit and then wax and buff.

Cant say I know any way to burnish them with any success I have only done edge paint for the past 25 or so years. You can do a folded edge on the watch bands but I found a fairly high casualty rate due to the very fine edge skive needed. I would recomend a very firm veg roo if roo is your preference. It is difficult to sand soft lining with the hard and soft nature of croc. Glazed croc is a bit easier than the matt finish.

I have only worked once with Caiman tail. No other variant of croc/gator though. I did not have any issue burnishing the edges but you might be working with thinner stuff which adds to the difficulty level. I treated my edges like normal using black oil dye on them and a standard hand burnisher. I also found that the caiman tail, although being cognac in color, was able to take dye easily on all of it. The raised sections and the edges of each row ended up darker than the rest of the plates/scales.  

Thank you for the comments everyone.  The croc has arrived and various things you have said makes more sense now that I can see/feel what I am working with.  A folded edge might work... will ponder it for a while before cutting anything.

G'Day Leahlovesleather , 

I have found ,with experience,  that some leathers simply don't burnish and a fold  is better. I have have tried croc, mainly on belts, but its takes work. 

BTW , I'm in the Central Wheatbelt WA  about 2 hrs drive from you. Its rare to see anyone from Perth on here. Good to see. 

HS :) 

Hi there Handstitched, There are a few of us West Aussies on here. I have met a few in person and several that I have only spoken to by message or read their posts.

Hey @Handstitched, likewise, I grew up in Albany, WA : ) Live in Pennsylvania now, less tiger snakes :lol:  . Make it back home occasionally, just takes a while door-to-door. 

5 hours ago, motocouture said:

Hey @Handstitched, likewise, I grew up in Albany, WA : ) Live in Pennsylvania now, less tiger snakes :lol:  . Make it back home occasionally, just takes a while door-to-door. 

Now that explains why your so damn capable I reckon.:cheers:

18 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Now that explains why your so damn capable I reckon.:cheers:

Ha! I'll take that!! :dance:

Look out!!   Aussies everywhere!!,