A6C5O7

Belt head set holder

Hello, first time I've posted on here. I'm interested in trying to make an aircraft headset holder I hook to my belt at work. I've attached a photo of a small drawing I did. My question to the seasoned folk is; would leather be able to hold up to what I'm asking of it. I'm planning on running a few laps of thread down the strap to help with the abrasion. Also what leather weight would be appropriate for this? 

IMG_2404.jpg

you could go with 1oz lining leather and it would hold up fine. I would suggest probably 4oz veg tanned about 7/8" wide and a 1 inch D ring. Or, extend your pattern by 4 inches and make a loop to go on your belt

Thank you sir! Do you mean to say, use a different material for the internal portion (the part that actually contacts the headset) and just line the outside. Not all to different from making a dog collar except the concern is rubbing against metal and not mans best friends fur, lol. 

not at all, use a single piece of 4oz veg tanned, cut it to the length you need, tool.dye, etc. Then finish the flesh side by burnishing like you would the edges. I've done the call center thing and it would take decades of wear to wear out 4 oz leather with just the weight of a headset hanging from it.

Right on! I'll try it out for a bit. These are aircraft headsets so they weigh a little more but I'll whip up a prototype this weekend and see how it goes. 

Thank you for your help! 

Well I found some time to entertain my idea. Besides messing up two stitches and overlooking cutting the hole for the peg, but in hindsight I couldn't choose between using another button or the peg. Only time will tell if I chose correctly. I'm pretty happy with the end result. 

Dye: Red, diluted finished with resolene. 

Thread: .6 tiger thread. Black. 

Fastners: line 24 snap and a large stud. 

Leather is 4/5oz. 

I applied neatsfoot oil on the flesh side and then laid down beeswax and burnished away until I got a nice finish.

overall it took me around 3 hours total. 

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2412.jpg

you got my idea perfectly :)

the hole you cut for the button stud though could be an issue as it wears and it may stop holding. Typically I punch a hole a little bigger then the neck size then cut a small slit about the same length as the widest part of the stud. Works pretty good and is about the same as the tool tandy sells for them

The thread provides an interesting contrast against the leather and looks pretty, but it is not necessary. The leather will last for years without it.

I like the aesthetics is the thread as well and my idea was if the leather were to get damaged the thread would be there to hold the pieces together, more or less. I think the same thing about the hole for the stud as well. I imagine I'll build another one using you idea. 

Thanks again for the help sir! 

I would suggest that when you build another one, use the same closure on both ends so you get the continuity. The other option would be to sew the end going around the belt.