BHPshooter

Ever heard of a holster causing skin irritation?

Someone just told me that they have a holster that causes their skin to freak out, and even showed me a picture of the rash. It doesn't look as bad as a breakout of hives, but it definitely looks uncomfortable.

They have several other leather holsters -- some even came from the same maker -- and none of them cause any sort of reaction.

I have to admit, it has kind of intrigued me. I've never experience anything like that myself, nor have I ever heard of such a thing. It never even dawned on me that such a thing was possible.

Anybody else ever heard of this?

Yep. It's not unheard of.

More common with chrome-tanned or aluminum tanned leathers, more common when the fleshy side is in contact with the skin.   A true allergic reaction is caused by an auto-immune response to  particular foreign protein.  But you also can have rashy responses to any number of chemicals.

tk

What did you seal it with?  I have reactions to Clear Lac.  

I had one customer (hope he never comes back) who had a "rash", . . . it poked him in the side, . . . it was heavy, . . . etc.

I kept waiting for him to tell me the color was the wrong shade of black.

Long and short:  the rash can be a true personal body reaction to the leather / finish / dye, etc., . . . but it may be a gripe from an habitual complainer.

I re-made the holster, . . . to his exact specs, . . . "Well, it's better, but still not right".  

Again, . . . hope he never comes back.

May God bless,

Dwight

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:13 PM, BHPshooter said:

Someone just told me that they have a holster that causes their skin to freak out, and even showed me a picture of the rash. It doesn't look as bad as a breakout of hives, but it definitely looks uncomfortable.

They have several other leather holsters -- some even came from the same maker -- and none of them cause any sort of reaction.

I have to admit, it has kind of intrigued me. I've never experience anything like that myself, nor have I ever heard of such a thing. It never even dawned on me that such a thing was possible.

Anybody else ever heard of this?

I built a boot holster for a little gun, with a strap that went above the calf.

It wasn't until a couple of weeks later that I realized why my leg was so blasted ITCHY in the evening. Turns out the itchy area was exactly where the strap was.

I replaced the strap with a different type of leather, still itchy. It wasn't like it was chafing, this was a reaction to something. If I wore it for an evening, that band around my leg would itch for 2-3 days.

Haven't worn it since. I still need to find another piece of leather to try, maybe some sort of thin lining. I'll get to it eventually.

Could be the neatsfoot oil I used, but I kinda doubt it. The oil doesn't seem to bother my hands or arms when I get it on me.

A friend of mine has a latex allergy so bad, her lips will swell if a dishwasher handles plates coming out of the dishwasher with latex gloves. 

Cowboy Dan:  Have you considered neoprene wet uit material for the upper support band?