This is my first post, so hopefully I won't make an utter fool of myself! 

I've just purchased my first leather sewing machine (Cowboy 3200) after doing english bridlework and saddlery repairs for the past 2 years by hand and learning that I have fairly severe arthritis in my hands at the ripe old age of 32. Hah! I am aware that byusing the machine I won't have the lovely angled stitch, or the knot and stability of the saddle stitch, but I'd love to continue to use a thread with a traditional look to it. I have a background in textiles and fiber, so I'm really drawn to the outward look of natural-fiber threads (linen, cotton, hemp, etc) regardless of if they're core-spun around something more stable.

Has anyone used Sajou polycotton "Spécial Maroquinerie" for their machine stitching? I fully expect it to be more finicky and less forgiving than a bonded nylon or polyester, but I'm a glutton for punishment. Are there other brands of natural-fiber core-spun threads on the market? 

If so, does anyone know how it stitches up, size-wise? The 28/3 is 0.45mm, while the 28/3 is 0.38mm, and I'm hoping to find something that stitches up similar to a #183 thread. 

Also, I'd assume the waxed threads such as this might gum up the machine over time despite being designed for machine use. Is there a way I can keep this from happening? I don't mind a little extra work cleaning it out now and then in exchange for the natural fiber thread. 

Orrrr... is this just a beginner's pipe dream, and should I just stick to bonded nylon or polyester? :) 

(Here is the link to the sajou website and the page with machine threads: http://www.sajou.fr/en/314--special-maroquinerie-fil-au-chinois)

The 28/3 is 0.45mm, while the 28/3 is 0.38mm,

? same reference 28/3 but two different thicknesses in mm ?
What is #183 thread ?
I'll happily give Sajou a call for you and ask for detail about their threads, but the part you wrote that I quoted doesn't make sense ( typo? ) and I don't know ( and a search reveals nothing ) what #183 thread is ..

Sorry about that - those were both typos! That was supposed to say 28/3 is 0.45mm and 28/2 is 0.38mm. And it's #138 thread, not 183. :rolleyes2:

I really appreciate your offer to ask them about their threads, Mikesc! Je parle seulement un peu le français, et très mal! My husband's publisher (he writes and illustrates a BD published in France) brings us over visit every year or two, so I am hoping to visit the shop in Paris next time I am there! 

Sent you a pm..look at the top right of the page next to your name.. :)

Emily;

Did you know that you can turn a leather point needle on a slight off center angle to get offset stitches? Try it!

Well, I too just noticed the existence of this thread. Waxed thread in a machine is usually a no-no, but this one specifically says for machine sewing. Has anyone actually tried it to see if it makes a royal mess of things?