Hey everyone. I just watched a documentary that showed a Lady using a Dremel with a ball bit, with perfect cursive writing putting words on plastic for signs, in a very large scale.

It was clear plastic laid over a ruled bench top, similar to what the pages were like when we all learned to write in cursive.

I've got some of them type of bits for my Dremel, and I've done similar free hand stuff in wood with my Dremel for tree ornaments and such.

I was just curious if anyone has tried this type of Free Hand Lettering in Leather with a Dremel?

I have a bunch of little pieces (Yes, I'm a Pack Rat) and I thought about gluing them down to a piece of scrap wood and give a go at it and see how it comes out.

If someone has done so, and can or would like to share some photo's that would make you a Super Hero!

I guess my main concern would be to do it with wet or dry leather, and how fuzzy it would end up being.

If someone has tried it and the outcome was less than acceptable, even if you could burnish it in some way, I wouldn't waste the time or material and save it for some other ridiculous idea.

Thank You Kindly, one and all for any info one might be able to share.

Just my tuppence worth.

I may be wrong, but you might be better off with an engraver.   A dremel spins, wheres an engraver vibrates.   A spinning ball end fitting might be more inclined to pull wet leather.   Also, I wonder about friction of the spinning ball end.

I have a very old engraver that I tried out, but lordy, it was noisy.   Last week, I bought an engraver from Lidl for £7.99, so cheap enough to give it a try.    It is quieter than the vintage engraver, but still very loud.   I haven't tried it out on leather yet.

Even an engraver will pull the leather.

Both those work best on very hard material

I would suggest a pyrogravure; even just a soldering iron with a short line tip could be used in the manner of a pen

I can't see how the dust made would be worth it.  My shop is small and that crap would be in everything.  I also would agree that doing it with wet leather would pull the leather.  Having said that, people are always looking for something new and different, so maybe you're onto something.

I agree with Fredk. A pyro what's it is far better. You can do free hand lettering ot anything else for that matter. And it won't tear at the leather. You can even use a small wood burner like they sell at hobby lobby or Walmart. They're cheap. Like Fredk said, they're essentially cheap soldering iron but have different tips you can use.