This morning I thought I would take pictures as I make a new watch strap for my Samsung Smart watch.  Unfortunately, my phone takes 10mb pictures and after emailing them to myself, I have to move them into photoshop and decrease them in size, which is taking quite a bit of time.  The whole process should take between 4 and 6 hours for one of these.  However, I don't think I'll hit that mark today.  I'll keep you posted.

Alligator scrap.jpg

Gray Alligator Watch Strap 1.jpg

Here I've used two templates to choose the portion of the hide I want to use. Notice on the templates, I've marked where the bends will be.  You have to line up those marks with the scales on the opposite side in order to so that the folds are nice and thin, not bulky.  Then flip the hides over and mark them.

In the second picture, I have the original rubber strap on the right and the old alligator strap I made on the left.  I've marked the center line and also decided on this strap not to make the little wings at the top by the  watch, but run a straight line. 

Gray Alligator Watch Strap 2.jpg

Gray Alligator Watch Strap 3.jpg

Edited by GunnyStewart

As you can see here, I have the perfect size keeper from the scrap piece on the left, I just need to cut it to length.

Gray Alligator Watch Strap 4.jpg

Love seeing the step by step pics, thank you! BTW, I use "Picture Resizer", an app on my iPad to resize photos straight from my photo album really quickly (I lost patience with the whole emailing to myself thing : )

@motocouture That's a great idea.  I guess I'll try using the iPad.  Really got sick of trying to take the pics and mess with the sizing.  I finished everything except the stitching.  I just haven't gotten back to resizing the pics yet.

I again used the template to mark out the lining leather.  This is a 2/3 oz veg tan.  I have calf on order and will switch to that when it comes in.  I also skive the top of the lining leather so when it is glued down near the pin it is not bulky. 

Gray Alligator Watch Strap 14.jpg

Gray Alligator Watch Strap 13.jpg

Here the lining is glued together.  I used Barge cement, but in talking with a couple of other makers, they use water based glue stating that the glue is only used to hold things in place until the stitching is done.  Barge may be overkill, but I'm a fan.

Gray Alligator Watch Strap 15.jpg

Gray Alligator Watch Strap 16.jpg

At this point, I was tired of messing with photo resizing.  The next steps were to clean up the edges and coat them.  The only thing left to do is sew it.  Instead of using my old Singer 29, I'm going to hand sew them on Monday.  I posted them on my Instagram to let my followers choose the colour thread to sew it.  If you want to vote, check me out at gunnystewart if you want to vote.

Gray Alligator Watch Strap 25.jpg

Gray Alligator Watch Strap 26.jpg

Gray Alligator Watch Strap 28.jpg

Excellent tutorial!!!