Whitenoise

Beginner Looking for Tools in India

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading a lot of articles and seeing a lot of videos on Youtube and other websites that show different leatherwork. I am very interested now to start leatherwork myself. I am having difficulty in finding tool supplier in India. If anyone has any experience buying tools from India, would they share the details of the supplier.

Cheers,
Whitenoise.

Why would you not buy tools online from Europe or China?

Hi,

I am also based in India , Pune. In every Indian city you will find an area that deals with stuff used by cobblers & shoe /chappal makers. This area will supply you with most basic stuff. In Mumbai, near Sion railway station there is a big leather goods manufacturing area . You can get most of the stuff from there. However, you will not get a fraction of the stuff available with shops like Tandy's. Best option is to import it from the US or ask some friend to bring it along.  

Hello Whitenoise,

I think i can help you out on finding leather working tools, they wont be the entire range as available on tandys but they will definitely help you get started. PM me if still interested

P.S I just joined this fantastic website so hence responding now.

I have never been to India, I have only seen it on TV programmes, but I get the impression that most Indian towns & cities have lots of small, informal, traditional (dare I say old - fashioned?) mechanics and engineering works.

See if you can find a couple of worn out industrial sized hacksaw blades, about 25mm & 40mm wide. Make these into leather knives, like a skiving knife; Japanese Style leather knife; and a kiridashi. Either make them yourself or get one of these places to do it for you. Search YouTube for appropriate videos. You might even find someone who can make you a round knife for a reasonable price

I have never bought anything from Goods Japan but I understand they are a reliable, international supplier, and from their website they have a decent range

I was talking to a saddler a while ago, and he said that he'd started selling Indian made harnesses & bridles, and they're well made,  so there must be some sort of leather industry there

Well zuludog is correct, like i have mentioned in another of my post i am from Mumbai and shared some pics of the leather working tools available in the markets  almost ALL headknives and other cutting/skiving knives made here in mumbai are from used hacksaw blades or large used granite cutting blades.and fitted into wooden handles( see pics below)

I have purchased a couple of head knives made from used files and granite cutting blades and also purchased some for other hobbyist and they work amazing and hold a edge well. Well i dont think it would be as good as the US and UK ones but for the price, we pay its definitely value for money ...so no complaints. And these are the same tool the leatherworkers in mumbai use to manufacture the leather goods exported to europe and USA

Below are some pics of some of the tools available in the markets of mumbai. If anyone requires these or others pls PM me as i often get stuff from these markets including scrap leather. The thrid pic is of a clicker knife with different hacksaw blades ground in different edge profiles.

IMG_20171230_134052 (Large).jpg

IMG_20171230_134102 (Large).jpg

IMG_20171230_153951 (Large).jpg