spacedog

Aviator helmet

I've just finished making this for my sister for this coming Christmas. She has enough handbags and belts already, so I made her a hat. It's been tricky and I've done a few things I haven't done before. It's the first time I've tried making anything with a lining, or piping, and I wanted to make it look old and used too, so it's pretty rough. Why an aviator hat? She is a big fan of Atomic-Robo, and Girl genius, (web-comics) so I think it works even if she rarely wears it. I had lots of fun and frustration making it.

IMG_4622.JPG

IMG_4623.JPG

IMG_4624.JPG

IMG_4625.JPG

WOW ... just WOW!

Is the lettering carved or just painted on the surface? Maybe stencilled?

How did you get the sizing if she did not get to try it on as you developed it?

Great job any which way.

That is super cool! 

I 2nd Rockoboy in asking about sizing, or if you made it to fit yourself, or followed some sort of pattern? Hats and head-covers can be tricky to size, since everyone has a different circumference and depth to their crown. .

- Elizabeth

2 hours ago, kiwican said:

That is awesome!

Thanks.

2 hours ago, ByNelson said:

I love it... :) very old school :) 

Thank you.

17 minutes ago, Rockoboy said:

WOW ... just WOW!

Is the lettering carved or just painted on the surface? Maybe stencilled?

How did you get the sizing if she did not get to try it on as you developed it?

Great job any which way.

Thanks. I didn't think ahead enough to stamp the logo into the leather. I was too focused on whether the pieces were going to work and how to stitch it and dyed all parts before starting to put it together. So yes, I drew many logos until I had one I liked and then painted it on with a brush freehand. As to the sizing, her head is almost as big as mine, but she has a lot more hair so it should fit. Here is a close up of the logo.

12 minutes ago, RhodesAveDesigns said:

That is super cool! 

I 2nd Rockoboy in asking about sizing, or if you made it to fit yourself, or followed some sort of pattern? Hats and head-covers can be tricky to size, since everyone has a different circumference and depth to their crown. .

- Elizabeth

Thanks. I looked all over the net at different styles of aviator hats and went with this one just for the shape of it. Seven panels wasn't too bad, and I drew the shapes on thick brown paper and taped them together. It took me three attempts to get one that fit me, then I transferred it to leather. I'm hopeful that it will fit, but won't know for sure until I mail it to her. Ha! I took a chance and hope it worked.

IMG_4626.JPG

3 minutes ago, spacedog said:

I'm hopeful that it will fit, but won't know for sure until I mail it to her. Ha! I took a chance and hope it worked.

Fit or not - it definitely worked! You did a great job. I am certain she will be proud to own it.

Super cool gift!

That is an AMAZING project! I have an original one of those, and now I have to try to remember where I put it! It doesn't have the totally cool add-on that you did, though. If I find it, I'll post a pic. 

This guy, AirBear, used to wear it, but he either doesn't remember, or won't say where he left it. He's such a flibbertigibbet.

airbear.JPG

2 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

Fit or not - it definitely worked! You did a great job. I am certain she will be proud to own it.

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Super cool gift!

Thank you.

1 hour ago, alpha2 said:

That is an AMAZING project! I have an original one of those, and now I have to try to remember where I put it! It doesn't have the totally cool add-on that you did, though. If I find it, I'll post a pic. 

This guy, AirBear, used to wear it, but he either doesn't remember, or won't say where he left it. He's such a flibbertigibbet.

airbear.JPG

Ha! Thanks.

I'll bet y'all thought I was kidding! He was a huge hit with the kids at fly-ins.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread...

airbear.JPG

13 hours ago, Retswerb said:

This is really great. Fun seeing stuff like this that's so different from the standard fare.

Thanks very much.

6 hours ago, alpha2 said:

I'll bet y'all thought I was kidding! He was a huge hit with the kids at fly-ins.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread...

airbear.JPG

Actually I did think you were kidding. Ha!

Here is another picture. This was supposed to be a satin finish, but ended up very shiny. It doesn't look nearly as rough and worn as I wanted it to. I might have to rub some dirt on it. :)

IMG_4637.JPG

Do what fly-fishermen do with a new vest...drag it behind a truck on a dirt road for a couple of hours. "Instant experience".

Very cool!!!

It may lose some of it's shine in a day or two,  but that looks amazing.

One of these is definitely on my list to make,  maybe with Bluetooth headphones for use in the workshop