I have been using Hermann Oak 7/8 oz shoulders from springfield for all my holsters. This has been working alright but I have been wanting to buy leather in larger quantities.  I have heard some people say to use only the shoulder for holsters. I know the belly and neck is no good, I would like to buy it by the back but if the shoulder is the only good part anyway I might as well keep buying it by the shoulder. What do you think?

It's a toss-up to a large degree.

Because I do belts, . . . and have been known to do a 53 inch Western belt that was 3 inches too short when he came to pick it up, . . . I usually buy the whole side.  The price for me works out about the same, . . . and I get belt material.

May God bless,

Dwight

I find the rear section (near the tail) to be more dense than the shoulders.  For this reason I prefer it for holsters.  

I started out buying shoulders, but it seemed that only about half -- sometimes less than half -- of the leather was usable for holsters. The rest was neck or belly, and too spongy to be useful.

If you're buying full sides of decent quality, most of the leather (everything but the neck and belly, pretty much) will be suitable for holsters.

I just started buying sides from Wickett & Craig.  I am pretty amazed at how much is usable.  Great sides.  The better quality certainly justifies the higher price over what I was getting.  I don't do belts so I cut the backs of the larger holsters near the spine.  Makes really nice, stiff backs. 

Are you guy's buying "Holstered " leather ?

6 hours ago, Itch said:

Are you guy's buying "Holstered " leather ?

I use natural veg tan, and get the best option they have.  The back is darn near holstered on it's own.  For hybrids I get English Bridle which is holstered, but probably not referred to that way for that leather.  With holstering IIRC they inject waxes and press it.  Which can make it difficult to case and form.  It can also make it harder to make out imperfections.  I find the flesh side of leather to be a better indication of it's usability for holsters than the grain side.  If you buy good quality veg tan it should be nice on the flesh side.  The not nice parts are usually spongy and not good for holsters anyway.  

The shoulder is a good piece as is along the back. Ive heard too that horse hide is even better for holsters, though I've never tried it. There's also what's called "gun leather" but again I'm unsure of the differences between that and regular veg tan. I thought maverick leather co had both of these. You could ask them what the best is. 

If you want to keep getting shoulders, I've dealt with Roger at rjf leather (he has a banner ad on here) and he sells very nice double shoulders from thoroughbred leather. Just a suggestion. I hope you find your answer