Made myself a band for my fire helmet backed it with an old inner tube, stitched with 1.0 Rita thread and glow in the dark thread cross crossed at every stitch. 

IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2617.JPG

That inner tube gives it a neat look, it's different. Looks good! Where did you get the glow in the dark thread? If you don't mind me asking. 

Did you use Cova Color for the paint?

won't the inner tube melt?

6 hours ago, retiredff said:

Depends on what it's made of. I think if anything, it'll probably shrink first. If it's melting, you should probably be getting a knock on that fire or thinking of getting out of there. 

yep, melting rubber dripping off the front of your helmet would make me look for a way out.

Looks pretty cool man. Thanks for being a first responder, sincerely.

On 9/10/2017 at 10:57 AM, matthewb137 said:

That inner tube gives it a neat look, it's different. Looks good! Where did you get the glow in the dark thread? If you don't mind me asking. 

I don't remember where I got it, i bought it several months ago and am just now using it.

On 9/10/2017 at 11:11 AM, alpha2 said:

Did you use Cova Color for the paint?

The green is angelous paint.

On 9/10/2017 at 1:03 PM, retiredff said:

If it melts I'm honestly in way more trouble than worrying about it.

They have been used for years to hold cut nails and door chocks as it keeps them handy and easy to get to.

The tube itself is either from a tractor or truck tire and is quite thick about the same as 8oz leather. 

On 9/11/2017 at 6:19 PM, battlemunky said:

Looks pretty cool man. Thanks for being a first responder, sincerely.

Thank you

Does SewGlow ring a bell? Any pictures of it in the dark? I've been looking at their Glow in the Dark thread but I'd prefer to see real pictures as opposed to stock, ya know? It does look good though. Did you sew it by hand too?

On 9/13/2017 at 2:04 PM, matthewb137 said:

Does SewGlow ring a bell? Any pictures of it in the dark? I've been looking at their Glow in the Dark thread but I'd prefer to see real pictures as opposed to stock, ya know? It does look good though. Did you sew it by hand too?

Sewglow is it, unfortunately my pictures don't look as good on my phone as theirs. It does glow well and I'm impressed by it. Yes I hand stitched using black tiger thread and cris crossed the glow in between each stitch. I used grommets in the ends under the shield with elastic cord.

Nice work. I have just started dabbling in making fire service related items. Here is my hand sewn Helmet Band I made. 

22406048_1724180947885362_2412993933407389560_n.jpg

What did you use to outline the letters?

White paint and a small brush. 

Thank you! I will take a look. I have seen Decocolor in Joanns but have never gotten them. 

On 9/9/2017 at 10:33 PM, Fire88 said:

Made myself a band for my fire helmet backed it with an old inner tube, stitched with 1.0 Rita thread and glow in the dark thread cross crossed at every stitch. 

IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2617.JPG

There is a guy on Speedway Fire Indiana with the last name Turpin (Dave). Strange, 2 Firefighters both with the last name Turpin in different states.

On 10/16/2017 at 7:09 AM, retiredff said:

There is a guy on Speedway Fire Indiana with the last name Turpin (Dave). Strange, 2 Firefighters both with the last name Turpin in different states.

That's quite cool, although I highly doubt any relation as my name spelling only goes back to my grandfather (long story)

That's so cool! I love your colours. Now you have the most stylish halmet in the world