ukasmk

Piping on heavy leathers

Hello all

When adding piping to a heavy leather such as bridle or any 3 mm etc leather, do any of you have any tips to this. I am talking of machine work like on the 441's, 205's, 969's. Not handstitching. The reason I ask is with thinner leather or material you can use a piping/welt foot and get the needle right down the edge of the piping but on the heavy leathers, especially on the second layer of leather, you don't have room in a foot. If you skive down the leather too much it alters the final look of the piece along the seam so I usually mark a stitch line all the way around to follow, the try and keep things consistent so you know where it will fall underneath on the piping but this can still be hit and miss, especially if you are using a lighter needle and you get needle deflection.

Look forward to hearing your replies

ukasmk

Hi Ukasmk

do you buy your piping ready made or make it up yourself. I have been thinking of trying some and looking for tips.

Thank you

Johanne