Sign in to follow this  
Thatone

Cylinder arm walking foot - can I use it with a binder attachment?

Hello!

I am seriously considering selling my flat bed walking foot Juki and getting a cylinder arm instead. I want to do simple binding on my canvas and leather bags, but it is near impossible to find a heavy duty binder for this machine. Is there a cylinder arm binder attachment? 

I usually work with 15-18oz cotton canvas and max 5-6oz veg tan hides. The mouth of the binder would have to be pretty wide. 

Any cylinder arm users can give me advice?

Thanks!

You will probably need to order a custom binder attachment from Atlanta Attachment Company

Another option is Tennessee Attachment Co. They have made several binders for me and every one is exactly what I needed. Customer service is first rate as well. 

May I ask what whas the price of your binder? I spoke to them few months back and they quoted me somewhere around $1,200 and additional sewing machine - I dont think I am in a need of $1,200 binder attachment.

Edited by Thatone

When you have a high volume output  a custom made binder can make sense. When you brake down the costs to the piece it no longer "looks" too expensive. But when you bind 10 bags it does not make much sense except your work is exceptional and you ask very high prices for your work. I´m using some cheap standard / off the shelf binder attachments which I have modified a bit and they work very well. But I`m not binding with leather straps, I´m using 1 - 1.5mm webbing tape.

I´m using a Pfaff 345 with synchronized binder. I have attached a Pfaff 145 flat bed binder bracket and it works fine. See this thread:

I posted this in another thread already, maybe this binder works for you but check with the seller because of the mouth width and tape thickness you can use:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONSEW-225-226-Singer-111G-111W-211G-211U-211W-RAW-TAPE-BINDER-WIDE-MOUTH-CHOOSE-/391723527924?var=&hash=item5b348aaef4:m:mYIrxdPFJ4Ux6fcJPCE3_9Q

My binders were in the $350 range.