A friend of mine gave me a wallet he bought from some retail store that was already falling apart after only having it for a few weeks, so I made him a new one like it. 

IMG_20170913_175329048.jpg

IMG_20170913_175204083.jpg

IMG_20170913_175430230.jpg

Nice.  That should last a good bit longer!

YinTx

What purpose do the tabs serve?

You insert cards in the end of the wallet and when you pull the tab it slides your card up and about 1/3 of the way out. You can see a generic card in the third picture.

I'm not usually a fan of square cnr wallets. But I think you pulled it off well

The tab idea is quite clever indeed. Very well executed.

super nice work!   

question:  What is the thickness of the pieces?

I was actually approached about this feature recently. Pull-tab, card pops out. This could be the next big thing. I doubt it, though, as my cut-outs, and others, accomplish the same thing, with a lot less complexity, and similar results. Still, it is catchy, and does work.

The original design had the tabs on the outside of the wallet which I changed because I felt like when you slid it in your pocket it might catch one of the tabs and push your cards out. I'm thinking about making one for myself because it makes getting cards out easy but a wallet with moving parts is just asking for something to break. Also I like for my card slots to be where nothing can fall out when it's closed.

On 9/13/2017 at 6:09 PM, Jbrandon said:

A friend of mine gave me a wallet he bought from some retail store that was already falling apart after only having it for a few weeks, so I made him a new one like it. 

IMG_20170913_175329048.jpg

IMG_20170913_175204083.jpg

IMG_20170913_175430230.jpg

love the pull tabs! fantastic idea!!!

Very nice I've never seen the pull tabs done before

Very Nice!! I have one of those wallets I bought online. Fell apart in 6 months. Got another replacement and edges started fraying in 3 months. This is the wallet I want to make. Would you mind sharing plans or how it was done?

Well as far as plans for making one I just looked over the one my friend had. Much like yours it was coming apart. Then I just built it. I'm the world's worst at not making a keeper pattern or template for future use. I only make one about 50% of the time. Really it's just a piece of 4-5 oz. leather sewn to another piece of 2-3 oz leather with the straps sewn in place it's pretty simple to make. 

Thanks for the reply. I actually figured it out after I posted. Lazy me. I took it apart and now have a good idea of what to do. I like the leather piece you put on the tab pull out.

Where did you get the money clip? Most the ones I see would stick out the sides.

Edited by swellco