Dragonfly42

Agate stone leather cuff

Nice work Dragonfly!  I would imagine the 2 turquoise pieces are decorative rivets, and the agate is a flat dyed focal piece?  Did you shape/mould the leather piece holding the agate?

6 hours ago, SunLynx said:

Nice work Dragonfly!  I would imagine the 2 turquoise pieces are decorative rivets, and the agate is a flat dyed focal piece?  Did you shape/mould the leather piece holding the agate?

Thank you! That's correct the rivers are just there for looks. The agate is a slice I got off eBay :). I did a little bit of wet forming but not a lot. The window is about 1/8 inch smaller than the slice itself 

Do you think that the dark background behind the agate is just as good as if you had left it undyed/light behind the agate?

10 minutes ago, SunLynx said:

Do you think that the dark background behind the agate is just as good as if you had left it undyed/light behind the agate?

That particular one was pretty solid so it wouldn't matter much. Some of the others it would depend on the color I think. I've contemplated even painting white or silver on the translucent ones to make it show more

Very nice. Did you cement the agate in place as well?

2 hours ago, kiwican said:

Very nice. Did you cement the agate in place as well?

I tried but it didn't want to stick. The overlay is enough to hold it in place thankfully. Gotta rethink before I do another. Was contemplating drilling and stitching the agate on the edges then overlay

1 hour ago, Dragonfly42 said:

I tried but it didn't want to stick. The overlay is enough to hold it in place thankfully. Gotta rethink before I do another. Was contemplating drilling and stitching the agate on the edges then overlay

Which glue did you use?  I've had good luck with E-6000, but no glue is perfect.