Collagen

Just started!

Hi to all! 

I've just embarked on leathercraft. 

I'm also an archer and a couple of months ago decided that I needed a new quiver.  So I looked on t'internet and found a couple I liked but was horrified by the price.  So, I thought I'd make my own.  I realised that I couldn't just launch into this and would need to learn some new skills and techniques.  I've begun and have made a passport cover, a bracer and a pair of moccasins so far.  I've also spent a lot of money and I've realised I could have bought the quiver I liked at least twice over for the money I've spent.  But I'm slowly getting there and am amassing a small collection of tools and materials that will be useful in the future.   I think I'll be able to learn a lot here.

I'm really enjoying what I'm doing though and my friends and relatives might just be getting leather goods this Christmas!

I think there's an archery section on the forum. I've seen some very nice ones here and there. Welcome 

Welcome!

I started the same way, thinking I could save $$$ by learning to make things myself... hahahaha! But the sense of accomplishment after finishing a project is priceless, so it's all worth it in the end :) 

Agree about the sense of accomplishment..,, welcome to the site Collagen

In the long run its much cheaper and far more satisfying. 

I"m also an archer who started leatherworking a couple years ago. Just like you, I gradually acquired tools as I learned the craft (still learning). I also wanted a nice back quiver but didn't like the prices or designs. First, I visited a lot of websites and archery shops. Then I purchased and downloaded an archery pattern book from Tandy Leather. Finally, I just dove in, adjusting the design as I went. As a one-man communications department for my company, I'm proficient in Photoshop, which, in turn, is extremely handy for manipulating images I'd like to trace and then carve. Is a homemade, leather quiver less expensive than one you could buy? It depends on how you value your time and if you consider the experience a profit in education. I think it is. I've included photos of the one I made. I don't know how far in the process you've gotten, but just a couple pieces of advice: Use no heavier than 9 oz. leather; you want some flexibility to allow the quiver to form to your own back and keep the arrows inside if you bend over or run. Also, keep your quiver wide, not circular, to ease the pullout of arrows. Good luck!

0A71C4F4-AF2A-4724-8757-6443910D437C.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg