SoulBoundLeather

Bag Flap Curling After Machine Stitching

Hey! 

So I've been having this problem with my bag flaps curling around after stitching. The weight of my leather is like a garment leather with a little stretch. I'm trying to make a bag flap for my sling bags and I do want the stitches to be around the edges. I'm getting that curling effect though. I know it's because the machine is pulling the thread tight and since the leather has a little stretch, that is what is causing it. So I guess I'm asking: What can I do about it? How can I make it appear less curled? Should I layer the flap with two layers of the leather? Should I do a double layer with a bag stiffener into the edges? 

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any ideas. 

purse.jpg

purse2.jpg

lower your tensions,( top and bottom ) if merely sewing garment leather thickness did this, garments would look like this, they don't because they are not stitched at the same tension as thicker veg tans.

Thanks miksc. I'm sewing it on a Cobra Class 4. I like the thickness of the stitches, but maybe i need to take the leather to the juki then. Sewing it at a different tension on the cobra machine actually causes the knots to be seen at either the top or the bottom. It's a bit of a struggle to find the right tension for the garment leather on the cobra machine. 

Sounds like you are trying to sew at the lower limit of the class 4 machine.  You might want to try using a welt made of veg tan around the edges - this would add stiffness and should stop the curling if you want to keep using thicker thread.  Otherwise I would just sew on your lighter machine with smaller thread.

Gary,

What a great idea! I do like the look of the thicker threads for my bags. It just looks cleaner. I will try the welt! 

Let us know how it turns out!  3-4 oz welt will probably work well...

I've been dabbling in bags lately, so I'm no expert, but I would suggest sewing inside out then turning and top stitching. That's what I've been doing and it looks very clean and finished. 

I sew anything in the under 8 oz on either a Singer 31-15 or Singer 111W56.  I have a Cobra 4 too, but I don't use it for anything under 6-8 oz veg tan (depending on stiffness), 3+ layers of upholstery leather, or 4+ layers of  canvas (+12 oz.).