Finished this backpack yesterday, it was a nice challenge with the welt and the eased zipper.  Fully hand stitched with #277 bonded nylon thread at 5spi.  Used a great hide called Sunset Rage from the Tasman Group (Acadia Leather) - soft, supple and durable with a nice top grain pattern, it has a great feel.  Overall pleased with the result, and great skill builder and learning piece.

backpack1.jpg

backpack2.jpg

backpack3.jpg

backpack4.jpg

backpack5.jpg

backpack6.jpg

backpack7.jpg

Some top notch work right there!  Well done!

YinTx

35 minutes ago, ByNelson said:

Great job looks really nice :) 

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Some top notch work right there!  Well done!

YinTx

Thank you.

Very nice work. Well done.

I didn't know what an "eased" zipper is. Is it one that is circular instead of straight? Could be a Canadian term? 

That is an awsome backpack, nonetheless!!!  I have to try piping the joints sometime, I'm just terrified of it.

14 hours ago, alpha2 said:

I didn't know what an "eased" zipper is. Is it one that is circular instead of straight? Could be a Canadian term? 

That is an awsome backpack, nonetheless!!!  I have to try piping the joints sometime, I'm just terrified of it.

Thanks!  According to my sewing girlfriend, easing a zipper is when you snip little slits in the zipper tape where you want it to curve.  This eases the zipper into the curve and stops the bunching.  Works for both inside and outside curves.

The welt or the piping was very easy!  I used a 1mm thick piece of upholstery leather (cut very accurately!) folded over and glued together.  Then I just sandwiched it in the seam, fold-side in (will face out when you turn the bag).  I glued it down to one side of the bag, then punched the stitching holes in each side of the bag seam separately.  I used half the width of the welt as the seam line.  A little care that your holes line up and then stitch away.

7 hours ago, LeatherWorkerGirl said:

Great job! Can't wait to be this good :)

Thanks, lol, I started leather crafting (from zero prior experience) a little over 6 months ago, and I've had the good fortune of having the opportunity to put many hours since then into learning the skill set.  Keep practicing!