plinkercases

stitching pony and/or horse round up

I thought it would be fun to start a thread where folks can post pictures of their stitching herd. Ponies or horses (or clamps - whatever) , hand made or purchased lets have a look.

Here are my horse (made by my furniture repair master brother in law but saddled by me) following the classic design of the foot bar and ratcheted notches but he used a cable instead of a strap. still it works great. I have long since this original picture changed the profile of the top of the jaws as these were a little to thick and I couldn't get my hands in close enough in thin work where the stich line is close to the top of the clamp line.

and my pony made by me from oak floor boards and MacGyver hardware with tie down strap - ratchet tensioner, swivel base and can sit under my legs on my stool or slot into a chair I adapted just for it.

Lets see the stitching herds folks if you care to post them I know at least I would like to see them.

pony 15pc.jpg

horse 3qtr 50pc (Small).jpg

horse front 50 pc (Small).jpg

Those are super neat! I only just picked up a pony a couple weeks ago (the cheapest one Tandy had) and OH BOY do I wish I'd gotten one sooner. It makes things SO MUCH easier! I just made do with holding things between my knees before lol, felt like I'd run a marathon after a few hours stitching. I'll be interested in seeing what other people have got as well; it's sure to be a motley herd.

Here is mine. It belonged to my great-grandfather who was a harnessmaker in Westport, NY. I really enjoy using it.

Dan

PB190078.jpg

PB190080.jpg

PB190083.jpg

Here is my "Horse Pony", now referred to as a Hony, I built. Basically a one legged horse. I added an extension to a pony and used a piece of vacuum pipe for a support leg. Much more comfortable than a regular pony for me. Jaws can be rotated left or right and opening is adjustable. Recently upgraded with with a cam leaver and thumb nut for Lee Valley.

Hony 01.jpg

Hony 02.jpg

Hony 03.jpg

7 hours ago, Dan Miller said:

Here is mine. It belonged to my great-grandfather who was a harnessmaker in Westport, NY. I really enjoy using it.

Dan

PB190078.jpg

PB190080.jpg

PB190083.jpg

That is just really nice to see, and still in use.

Here are a couple I made for my daughter and me, a few years ago.

horses.JPG

Edited by R SFraser Sr

@Dan Miller That is rely nice and its great its still in the family. Looks like a pretty nice canoe too :-)