olds cool

Who is our Pfaff expert?

I am going out this evening to pick up a Pfaff 145 H4 that has some damage but the price is an absolute steal at $50.  It looks like the main shaft that attaches to the pulley (arm shaft) was snapped when the owner dropped the machine.  From the pictures it looks like a fairly clean break, must be a cast shaft.  This appears to be the only damage and I know replacement shafts are available.  If I am reading the parts books right, it looks like part# 9-010 002-05.  Could one of our resident Pfaff experts chime in to let me know how much a new shaft would be?  Maybe one of you have a parts machine sitting around?  Also, I'm mechanically inclined so not scared of doing the work but what am I getting myself into?  I'm sure I'll need to have a shop look it over afterwards too.  I just can't pass up this deal, the table and motor alone are worth more than the asking price!

Thanks in advance, Ed

"when the owner dropped the machine". 

Well at least you have a starting point.  If that is the only thing wrong with it you may be lucky I suspect it may have other issues, look it over well. 

91-010002-05/000 is $173.25 Pfaff list price.  Replacing this top arm shaft is about as big a job as you can have with a machine like this, I would recommend thinking twice before investing money in a machine like this.  Finding one used can be hard, and I'm only assuming that the machine was working well before it was dropped.  I would check the casting to make sure that there are no cracks elsewhere as well.  

Hope this helps. 

15 minutes ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

91-010002-05/000 is $173.25 Pfaff list price.  Replacing this top arm shaft is about as big a job as you can have with a machine like this, I would recommend thinking twice before investing money in a machine like this.  Finding one used can be hard, and I'm only assuming that the machine was working well before it was dropped.  I would check the casting to make sure that there are no cracks elsewhere as well.  

Hope this helps. 

Thanks Greg.  So far, I've found the part ranging from about $130 up to right around your quoted price.  Still a lot cheaper than the $800 heads I've seen online.  I was told it was working well before the drop.  Owner is an older gentleman that is offering it up before scrapping it, hoping someone can save it or use the parts or repair.  He doesn't seem to have any motivation to lie about the condition, especially for a measly $50.  Still, I'll be sure to look it over well when I get there tonight.  Is there any kind of rebuild guide out there for these things?  The sales/repair shop that it originally came from is local so I'll probably give them a call before digging into it, just to see what they have to say.

For $50 you really can't go wrong. It'll be a great learning experience not matter what and if you're lucky you'll have a super nice machine. Even if you're not lucky you'll have a parts machine that is worth way more than $50.

I have a dismantling instruction for the 145. I once got with a bunch of Pfaff manuals, it written with typewriter and in English language.  I can send you a PDF if you send me your email by PM. I also can send you an old 145 parts list so you have the right parts numbers mentioned in the instruction. Files are too big to attach.

Sent you a pm Constabulary.  Thanks

So I got her home.  Checked the casting over and no noticeable cracks that I could find.  There are 2 stress cracks on the bushing that goes through the pulley but I don't think they will affect it at all.   The shaft broke off pretty clean.  As I thought, it's cast and where it broke was hollow.  He had tried to tap it so that he could just run a bolt through to fix it.  You guessed it, tap broke off.  I gave it a spin from the bottom shaft and everything appeared to work smooth, no binding or noticeable noises. 

He gave me the story behind it too.  He bought it to make a boat cover.  Took it into the local shop and had them completely go over it.  When he brought it home, he had the head strapped to the table.  At the bottom of the stairs, the buckle let loose on the strap and the head crashed to the floor, breaking the shaft.  He tried tapping it then gave up afterwards because he didn't want to spend any more on it.  It sat in the basement of his split level ranch for quite a while.  He has since sold the boat and needed the room for a cider press, which is why he was getting rid of it.

Haven't taken any pictures of it yet but will try to get a few soon.

If you still have the broken off part, and he did not butcher it too bad trying to tap, and it is indeed cast iron, then it should be possible to bronze braze the parts back together.