Decided to actually use some leather and made a sketchbook out of rag mat board covered in Horween and pigskin.  Made 8 registers out of different colored acid free paper and stitched it all together with green linen thread.  I think it looks pretty nice!  

IMG_20170918_173835.jpg

IMG_20170918_173651.jpg

You can see in the close up of the spine that I had to splice the thread together.  At one point it made a knot and snapped.

IMG_20170918_173625.jpg

Edited by Grey Drakkon

looks great Grey. How will the linen thread stand up over time?

Probably as well as the paper.  I did wax the thread a few times while stitching it together so that'll help it too.  

Looks nice!!!

very nice Grey. I stitched a book together with 6 signatures a little over a year ago. Its held up very well, I didn't use a Coptic stick tho. I went with a saddle stitch 

11 hours ago, kiwican said:

very nice Grey. I stitched a book together with 6 signatures a little over a year ago. Its held up very well, I didn't use a Coptic stick tho. I went with a saddle stitch 

The nice thing about coptic stitch is that the book can open all the way, very handy when sketching things.  Saddle stitch would mean that book would have to be lit on fire before it came apart though. ;)

16 hours ago, Fire88 said:

Looks nice!!!

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Grey Drakkon said:

The nice thing about coptic stitch is that the book can open all the way, very handy when sketching things.  Saddle stitch would mean that book would have to be lit on fire before it came apart though. ;)

Thanks!

I cant draw stick figures and my circles come out square so my book is just for the scrawling's of a mad man concerning leather related issues!