rmr

what leather would you use for this project?

Im getting ready to make a leather cover ( somewhat similar to pictures below- but different )for a fly reel while its on a fly rod. Will be used primarily to transport the rod/reel to and from the river and protect the reel from getting nicks/scratches while in transport. It will be exposed to the elements to a degree ( so might get wet, but hopefully not soaking wet)-  its not going to used to keep the reel waterproof

Most of the other outdoor products I have made - I have used Latigo. I can use that here also but am having a difficult time locating Latigo in the thickness I desire. I have seen other cases made from Bridle and English Bridle leather . I do not want to use a chrome tanned product because if it gets wet and the chromium slats leach onto the reel or rod they may corrode them.

So would you use Latigo or Bridle/english Bridle leather for this project - or other recommendations 

Thanks for any insight

RMR

Reel-Case-TO-01.jpg

reel case-03.jpg

That is a really nice case. If you aren't worried about the water try American Bison. I think it would look great and it is strong.

Bridle or Latigo would work well for that. Ask your supplier to split it to the thickness you want.

I would use bison 6/7 oz

You do know, that depending on the latigo there could be chrome in latigo.  A true latigo is a chrome veg retan.  It is chrome tanned first and then retanned in vegetable tannage to acquire some properties of both tannages.  Im not sure about Wickett but I do know that Hermann Oak's latigo is now all veg I dont think they do any chrome at all.  Our Chahin latigo is a true latigo and is a chrome veg retan.  The reason being is the chrome is what gives latigo its ability to be so durable in the elements.  

For your project I would definitely suggest english bridle however.  

I agree with Weaver, unless you know for a fact that the latigo you're using is pure veg-tan, I would avoid using it.  Russet harness leather might be another option. I think Hermann Oak makes a russet down to 8/10 in weight, or with pieces that small, it's easy to split it down.  Plenty of wax in their russet harness to repel any water that might get on the outside.  It would give a more rugged look than the English bridle.  Pretty cocky looking case, btw!

Why not veg tan? If it's not getting dunked in the river I'd think it'd be fine if seal it. You can tool it/stamp then line it with pig? 

13 hours ago, Fire88 said:

Why not veg tan? If it's not getting dunked in the river I'd think it'd be fine if seal it. You can tool it/stamp then line it with pig? 

I agree, if your going to do any tooling use natural veg, dye and finish it.  it will hold up fine.  Maybe a light coat of oil as well.