Hey y'all, 

So, I am a first time teacher and I was given an opportunity to use leather craft as an enrichment project.  I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to find an easy way to implement a computer program to make templates.  If you have any suggestion please let me know...after all, I'm attempting to create a new generation of leathercrafters! 

I use a CAD drawing program to design all my templates (Engineer).  Works really well for me and allows for simple adjustment after trying the pattern. My patterns are literally overkill accurate to .0001".

Google Draftsight. Excellent free CAD program.

I use a Vector Program Corel Draw or Illustrator to design my templates. Not free and they both have somewhat of a steep learning curve, but Inkscape is very similar and is Free. Plenty of tutorials on Youtube that will get you up and going.

Karina

You can download a program called Inkscape for free that is an opensource vector drawing program with similar features as Adobe Illustrator (the gold standard for making templates)

I use a program called Affinity Designer which is almost as good as Illustrator but a fraction of the price.

If you use one of these programs it makes it simple to send the templates out for laser cutting if that's something you want to do.

https://inkscape.org/en/release/0.92.2/

Edited by buko
Link to Inkscape

I have used several programs either as stand-alone or in concert with others.  I have settled on Illustrator, although I am not completely thrilled with their new (non) support mechanism,.  You can take a photo of your pattern or image, then "place" that image into an open file.  Use the guides to size it to what you want, then mask unwanted areas and change the remainder to grayscale to preserve colored ink.  If you really want to get involved, you can add a layer and trace over the desired image, then remove the base layer.  OR, after sizing, you can trace your image by hand and scan it back into the computer for resizing as desired.  The real question is whether you want to work for the computer or have it work for you.  So many options and variations.