Sorcerer1

9/10 leather holster ?

I have made a couple holsters out  of 8/9 oz. leather with good results . I made my own pattern for a "Slim Jim " style . My question is will I need to extend out past my pattern in order to make up for the much thicker 9/10 leather , or am I over thinking this ? Just seems that there will be a difference once it is folded over .

Thanks for any feedback / recommendations .

Sorcerer1        Arley

I actually don't think you will see much difference between the two weights.....

Thanks a lot . I just wasn't  sure. I can not ruin leather as I am on a fixed income  and an old fart to boot .

Arley

I will probably get yelled at but, with any build you have to account for thickness, if the pattern calls for say 7/8 and you use 8/9 it will end up being very tight.  If it is a pattern you created and did so with the weight in mind then you should be ok.  but it does make a difference, I have built a few that called for a given weight and then added a liner or thicker leather and didn't move stitch lines accordingly it ended up tight or small for the gun.

Thanks to you . I think I will leave some room just in case .I may leave a bit around the trigger guard are also then adjust as needed after the fold .

Thanks ,

Arley 

I agree with Ron. The tolerances can run pretty tight and like you said don't want to waste leather.trimming a 1/4 inch off edge is a lot less waste than a square foot or more.

Edited by Mattsbagger

Here's a thread and I think there's another one too in the same place, both pinned to the holster and sheath section. It's a very good tutorial and lots of good info. But, it shows how to size the holster using the leather you'll be using for the holster.