Kelloggkid

Ever hear of J.Z. Horter Co?

J Z Horter Co out of Habana

I picked up this old square skirt saddle because it had a maker's name on it.  Unfortunately, I can't find out anything about this maker in my books or with Google.  In fact, I've never heard of Habana either.

Thanks,

Greg

Photo Sep 26, 2 24 13 PM sm.jpg

Photo Sep 26, 2 26 48 PM sm.jpg

Photo Sep 26, 2 29 21 PM sm.jpg

1 hour ago, nstarleather said:

Seems strange but possible that Habana is Havana, since in Spanish "v" and "b" make the same sound...though you'd think they spell it right on a stamp.

Whether or not it is spelled correctly probably depends on if you live in Habana Cuba, or your an Anglo that visits Havana Cuba.

Habana is simply Havana in Spanish I believe.

20 hours ago, Mark842 said:

Whether or not it is spelled correctly probably depends on if you live in Habana Cuba, or your an Anglo that visits Havana Cuba.

Habana is simply Havana in Spanish I believe.

I think you guys are probably right. Thank you for your input.

I did find a newspaper article from 1883 stating that JZ was the grandson of George Horter who was a saddle maker in New Orleans from 1860-83.  JZ had a shop from 1882-1903 (assuming also in New Orleans).  It would be possible that he went to Cuba after he closed his shop in New Orleans.  Style-wise, the saddle looks to be early 1900’s instead of late 1800’s due to the full seat.