purplecinnamon

What machine should a beginner buy?

Hello everyone, I am a beginner to leather working. I have done some hand sewing, but I am now considering buying a sewing machine, and I am looking for help knowing what to buy.

I am hoping to keep the budget under $500, but I really don't know how much one needs to spend. I would prefer to spend less if that is possible.

I was looking at walking foot sewing machines and thinking that would be a good idea, but you tell me if you think it's worth the upgrade.

I am thinking of buying something used off of ebay or somewhere, but I wanted to ask the experts first.

Thank you for your help!

-Cole

This question is asked a lot.

Most popular reply? What do you want to make?

If holsters and saddles are your thing, you need a big machine. Think cowboy 3500, 4500 or cobra 3 or 4. Investment? Over 2000.00 plus shipping.

Wallets and flat goods? Consew 206-rb5 are popular at about 1200.00 plus shipping.

These are walking foot machines and yes they are expensive. But you will need all the help you can get from them as well as a reputable seller.

(Short answer) Don't buy off eBay. Buy from someone who not only supports this site, but customers as well. These guys step up before, after and even for noncustomers.

Cowboy Bob, Cobra Steve, Uwe, Alex from solar machines. All great helpful guys. I'm sure there are more.

Thank you for your advice.

I will probably be doing stuff more with softer leathers like wallets and not as much with saddles.

Does one really need to spend over $1000 to get a good quality sewing machine?

Thanks!

-Cole

You might keep a good eye out locally, or travel distance first. As on the net purchases half/ 250. Of your initial funds mentioned are going to be used in shipping and insurance. 

There are a few post at the page top on machines to get. So if found an upholstery, compound walking foot type machine. These will sure make you some nice thin to medium projects. Although likely using thinner thread than hand stitching.

good luck on your hunting

Floyd

If you haven't read this yet, it's probably the definitive answer to your question-

You could probably pick up a suitable used machine at a good price if you look around, but as Floyd mentioned be wary. Often used machines will need work and/or parts. The Singer 111/211 class, Seiko, Consew, Pfaff  are fairly typical of the older models that are around (regardless of country, it seems). There are, of course, more than I have mentioned. You definitely need a walking foot and ideally a servo motor, which will make it much easier to learn to use.

Best thing is to try and come up with a list of machines that would be suitable (spending time reading posts here should help) and then start looking. If you find one try and get photos and post on here asking for advice. Oh, and ignore any ads that say "industrial quality, semi-industrial etc" - such machines are invariably domestic  machines. It's a big step up to an industrial sewing machine, so don't be discouraged.

Edited by dikman

You can find a used machine for under $500, but you will have to do some serious looking. You may find that used machines can be worn out factory machines, or like new, been sitting in the spare room  for 20 years.  I bought my used Consew 206 for $400, an my cowboy 4500 was about $3000 new

I'd like to jump in on this discussion.  What are some recommended machines for making holsters and belts? 

I've read through Wiz's posts, but I know there's been some new machines since then.

Let's use about $1,700 as a max budget.

2 hours ago, SouthernCross said:

I'd like to jump in on this discussion.  What are some recommended machines for making holsters and belts? 

I've read through Wiz's posts, but I know there's been some new machines since then.

Let's use about $1,700 as a max budget.

There happens to be a machine for holsters that is priced at your stated budget. It is the Cowboy CB3200 that can sew up to 1/2 inch of leather with #346 bonded thread.

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

There happens to be a machine for holsters that is priced at your stated budget. It is the Cowboy CB3200 that can sew up to 1/2 inch of leather with #346 bonded thread.

Nice.  Thanks for that info.

And, interestingly, Toledo Sewing Machine company is located just west of Port Clinton, OH where I attend the national rifle matches in July/August of each year.  Looks like I'd better start saving up and pick a CB3200 up on my trip up there next year.

Edited by SouthernCross