Last month we bought a hatchet to take down a tree in the back yard.

IMAG1739_1.thumb.jpg.220ce78d1aedb886d1dae9f3dda51e6d.jpg

Between the two of us, it only took about half an hour, with us alternating taking swings and watching our son splash in his pool. For being little, this is a really nice hatchet. (I'm not surprised; Fiskar's is a great brand; I've had a pair of their scissors since elementary school and they still work great.) Anyway, Fiskar's is usually really good about putting these nice hard plastic covers with toggle locks on their bigger axes, but for this one they just put on a cheap, softer plastic cover that feels like it will probably crack and be ruined after a while.

IMAG1741_1.thumb.jpg.09f7782605abea4a20c7b7e5c686734b.jpgIMAG1740_1.thumb.jpg.c92aa95c96a12a554e71af2b350106b8.jpg

This is a good tool that deserves better. So I made a proper leather cover for it, dyed it, carved and painted the leaf decoration, put a snap on to keep it shut, and tied it all together with two-loop Spanish edge lacing.

IMAG1738_1.thumb.jpg.d59866fd9e8b850933e912301cc01784.jpgIMAG1737_1.thumb.jpg.0518f1ee783025771301fd73ecc6156a.jpg

For those who want to know, I used veggie tanned leather (I think 7-8oz.) from SLC, Eco-Flow Antique Gel (it's either Dark Brown or Briar Brown - sorry, it was a month ago and I can't remember for sure), Angelus paint for the leaf, and some finished lace I got from the dreaded Hobby Lobby. I probably got the snap from SLC. The pictures aren't great but my phone only takes selfies anymore so I make due.

Looks real good, but can you get it off of the head with the way that blade tapers?

I have one of those hatchets myself and think you may have just led me into a new project of my own.  Thanks for sharing.

Seems the lacing is in danger of being cut by the edge of the blade.  Did you put is an extra layer of leather along the side to protect the lacing from the edge? 

@resqman I did not, if I make another one of these covers that's something I will definitely do. One of the laces got cut the first time I put the cover on the hatchet; the rest are fine.

@cjartist It took a little wiggling the first time, but now it goes on and off pretty easily. That's part of why I laced it instead of stitching it - to give it a little more flex.