HOTRODGUY

Post bed recommendations

Looking for recommendations for the best & most reliable post-bed, single-needle machine with walking foot.  Sewing automotive upholstery.  We currently have a Juki 1508 - good machine!  We have Adler-Durkopp 268-263 split bar needle feed but would prefer a single-needle walking foot with as much room under the pressure foot as possible.  Would like machine that can handle thread size 92-277 but 207 would be fine.  Pressure foot 5/8" lift or more.  We a bought a brand new Highlead twin needle post-bed walking foot and returned it because machine quality was poor.  Prefer German or possibly Japanese machine.  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciate.  

The only machine in I'm aware of that meets your requirements is the Durkopp Adler M-Type H868 Classic, which is on my list of machines to own before I die. Make sure you sit down before you open that quote.

Edited by Uwe

5 minutes ago, Uwe said:

The only machine in I'm aware of that meets your requirements is the Durkopp Adler M-Type H868 Classic, which is on my list of machines to own before I die. Make sure you sit down before you open that quote.

I have looked at this one too.  And yes, it's a dream machine with a big price!   Not sure if this is a true German machine.  Maybe Santa will bring us both one for Christmas.  

If you come across another machine that meets your requirements, I'd like to know about it. 

We live in an age where a Toyota Camry is more of a true American car than a Jeep.

For "true German" machines designed and made in Germany while the company was still a German owned company, you have to go back a few decades. I have two very nice Durkopp Adler 268 post bed machines that meet that criteria. I might be willing to part with them to fund my Durkopp Adler M-Type H868 Classic piggy bank.

Edited by Uwe

Maybe check out what Seiko has to offer: http://www.seiko-sewing.co.jp/en/products/lhpwnseries/

16mm lift, has a listed needle size of #25, which puts you at a max of 207, most likely

On the heavier side, Cowboy (one of the sponsored brands on this forum) offers a machine that will take up to a 26 needle, 20mm lift, and has a barrel-shuttle hook. Made in China.

http://cowboysew.com/product6.htm

Also, 

Look at the Durkopp Adler  768 which preceded  the 868.  they could sew up to #207 thread.

glenn

On 2/3/2018 at 12:12 PM, shoepatcher said:

Also, 

Look at the Durkopp Adler  768 which preceded  the 868.  they could sew up to #207 thread.

glenn

On 9/30/2017 at 1:38 PM, HOTRODGUY said:

Looking for recommendations for the best & most reliable post-bed, single-needle machine with walking foot.  Sewing automotive upholstery.  We currently have a Juki 1508 - good machine!  We have Adler-Durkopp 268-263 split bar needle feed but would prefer a single-needle walking foot with as much room under the pressure foot as possible.  Would like machine that can handle thread size 92-277 but 207 would be fine.  Pressure foot 5/8" lift or more.  We a bought a brand new Highlead twin needle post-bed walking foot and returned it because machine quality was poor.  Prefer German or possibly Japanese machine.  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciate.  

Hi hotrodguy on your Adler do you have a center guide foot on it if so where did you get as I need one for the same machine thanks Bullhead1

On 7/1/2019 at 7:19 PM, Bullhead1 said:

Hi hotrodguy on your Adler do you have a center guide foot on it if so where did you get as I need one for the same machine thanks Bullhead1