JJDD

Hand-Crank Splitter as Skiver?

Do you think it's possible to use a hand-crank splitter as a skiver on edges?

I imagine you could back up the piece after splitting a little... but then would be left with having to cut off the partially split part?... Though, not sure feeding it only a little is even possible since the skiving area is so minimal. I don't own one of these machines so I can't test it out...

Leatherworkers with hand-crank splitters, what are your thoughts?

I have an old American hand crank I use for splitting veg tan pieces. If your goal is a uniform tapered edge I don't think it's what you want to use. I tried years ago to wedge other pieces of leather under the edges of the piece I was trying to run through the splitter and it failed miserably.  If your doing low volume you can get pretty good at edge skiving with a good sharp head knife and some practice. If your doing a high volume get a skiving machine.

If you cut a wedge of some kind out of a sturdier material, you can use that the run through on top of your strap and split the strap to a tapered edge...The wedge would need to go on top of the strap with the thicker edge toward the end of the strap with the taper toward the rear.  

It is hard to beat a good old crank skiver for heavy leather.  They come up on ebay once in a while.  I am surprised someone isn't have them reproduced in China.  Landis the top one.  HTH