okiwen

Difficulty with modern 29K-18

Request for an education.

Recent purchase of a Cobra 29K-18, and I am having a terrible time figuring out the threading of the bobbin.  It can't be this difficult on purpose to get the thread under the spring.  The tension between the upper and lower is very finicky and I am yet to get a good stitch.

To those that own one of these machines, can I get some mentoring and guidance?  What are the limits of the thread weight that you use successfully?  And, any other secret that you may have recently learned.  Thank you all.

No manual with the machine? Are you sure you threaded the machine correctly? Since you bought it new (I guess its new) I´d check with the dealer first when I have problems with a new machine.

These machines are China clones of singer 29K - so I´ll ad a 29K manual here. Should be pretty much the same with difference of the thread regulator (AFAIK). Usually bottom tension should be quite low but you should feel a light resistance when pulling the thread when shuttle is correctly threaded. The rest is playing with the upper tension.

EDIT:

http://www.leathermachineco.com/product/cobra-class-29-18-patch-machine/

Dealer site says up to #22 needle so max. should be 138 thread.

I have the "original Singer 29K71" but that's the short arm version of your machine and yes I can run 138 thread top and bottom.

29K_Operators_Guide.pdf

Edited by Constabulary

Here is a copy of the Singer 29k71 through 73 parts list and operator's manual. You would read the pages specific to the 29k72, which is a long arm big bobbin machine like your clone.

29k71-71-73 Service Manual and Parts List.pdf

Thank you both.  I appreciate the info.  I will read and perceiver.