Dragonfly42

Pietta 1851 navy revolver holster. First holster

Nice! How did you dye and finish?

9 minutes ago, Stetson912 said:

Nice! How did you dye and finish?

Saddle tan antique then airbrush faded show brown. Then paint black background and black border with a paintbrush then resolene

Very cool. 

I really dig that work. It looks great and meets the awesomeness of the gun. The complete one another.

Really nice first holster... you can't stop at one !

35 minutes ago, plinkercases said:

Really nice first holster... you can't stop at one !

Hahahaha but I only have one gun!! Although I do think I need the sheriff version with the shorter barrel to learn how to make a cross draw

Haha, cross draw is just a right handed holster with backwards cant worn on the left side. Haha. Ok ok, in all fairness I'm sure there is more to it than that lol 

What you do is make the holster for the gun you want. That way you can say to the missus that you have to get the gun to put in it now :evillaugh:

14 minutes ago, Stetson912 said:

Haha, cross draw is just a right handed holster with backwards cant worn on the left side. Haha. Ok ok, in all fairness I'm sure there is more to it than that lol 

What you do is make the holster for the gun you want. That way you can say to the missus that you have to get the gun to put in it now :evillaugh:

It's the whole angled thing that has me messed up. These things are heavy. How and why does it stay at an angle!

When you make the skirt you make it at an angle so it hangs on the belt that way. It's not a huge angle just enough so you can get a good grip on the draw.

I couldn't find a good example of the backside of a cross draw bit this image kind of describes it. 7e7535e71c463294419c7a31f2166340--holsters-wild-west.thumb.jpg.a1a6d5163e14888d8a610ef01fa8e4aa.jpg

When you do it you'll want a full skirt probably but you see where it folds to create the belt loop it's angled. This causes the cant on the belt. 

The gun is more secure than you may think too. A bit counter intuitive in a zero retention holster like they use in saa.they are typically work at the 10-11 position too so an extreme angle isn't usually required. Just some thoughts. If you look around for will Ghormley or slickbald patterns, I'm sure one or both have crossdraw patterns

Great looking detail, nice work.

Dammit, now I want to redux my holsters . . .

Great work!