rktaylor

Latest Saddle

Here's my latest effort. I'm entering this in the Wichita Falls Saddle Contest. Look me up if you are going to the show. 

Comments and critique are always welcome,

Randy

012.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

10052017 007.JPG

Just a question out of curiosity: those scalloped pieces under the conchos, are those edges burnished and if so, how difficult is that?

Excellent work by the way!

Looks good Randy.  You must have been working overtime on it.  It seems like you were just stamping the rigging plates.  Your basket weave looks good.  And, since you are entering it in a contest, I won't critique anything.  However, one suggestion, buy a Jeremiah Watt cantle binding edger to trim under the roll.  Its worth the money and eliminates some frustration when finishing the Cheyenne rolls.  Good luck in the contest.

Ron

Thanks for the compliments. The conchos are not burnished. I try to cut the as clean as possible. 

Ron, I always appreciate your critique of my work. I've picked up a lot of tips from you. I'll see if I can find a binding edger at the show. The wife would be disappointed if I didn't buy anything. BTW there's some really nice saddles here.

Randy

Hey Randy,

I am sorry I missed you .How did you like the show . There were some really Great saddles this year , a much better turn out than last year. My saddle didn't do as well this year but had some good conversations and spent way too much at Bob Douglas' booth .It was good to see him there . Maybe next year.

ClydeP1000427.jpg.7e5208b6fe77edc0e6d5ba67e94c0425.jpgP1000429.jpg.dc6cbc0f8b11b266bd8625046cc5c40b.jpgP1000427.jpg.7e5208b6fe77edc0e6d5ba67e94c0425.jpg

Clyde,

I also thought the quality of saddles was great. I received a lot of good comments and suggestions on my saddle. It was really motivating. Thinking about next year already.

Randy

You finished it! Looks great, Randy! I couldn't help but notice how close the stitches were on the cantle binding. That must have taken a lot of patience. Fantastic work and congrats! 

By the way, does it cost to enter the contest and what are the prizes?

Thanks,

-Ryan

Ryan,

Thanks for the comments. It doesn't cost to enter this contest. The winner in each division receives a belt buckle. I'm not sure about other contests.

Randy

You saddle makers blow my mind..... I hope someday I will have time to turn my attention to your world but meantime I love looking at your work. Thanks for posting them.