GaryNunn

Expensive Ebay Lesson Learned Selling Customized Holsters

--> Beginning of rant.

I'm putting this out here in hopes that it will help another seller avoid the stupid mistake I made trying to accommodate a buyers request on Ebay.

I'm still on the fence about if this is some sort of scam, or maybe this guy's wife just got angry he spent so much money.

Long story short ...A buyer contacted me asking for 5 of my leather holsters to be heavily customized. I agreed with the caveat that since they're customized, they would not be returnable.  He acknowledged that he understood they were not returnable.  He pays, I fabricate, customize and ship the first 4 holsters, he receives them, leaves positive feedback, orders the 5th holster based on the first 4, then 1 hour after he receives the 5th holster in the mail, puts in a return request for both orders, with the reason "I changed my mind".  

I replied and told him that I wouldn’t accept the returns. He opened cases with Ebay, who of course immediately found in his favor and accepted the returns on my behalf. I contacted customer service, she read the cases and messages where he agreed to no returns. The moment she pointed out that the return policy on the item itself said "30 day returns", I knew I had lost.

Now I get to toss out $300+ of custom leather holsters, that I likely can't resell to anyone else.

Here's the lesson learned: Even if the buyer agrees to no returns, if the item return policy indicates it can be returned, you're stuck, and have to accept the returns, even if the buyer agreed in writing not to return the item(s).  That individual item return policy has to be set to "No Returns" for Ebay to honor that.

The customer service lady was actually very sympathetic, she suggested once I get the returned items, that I inspect them thoroughly to make sure they're in the same new condition that I shipped them and suggested that if they're not, I open cases. But I suspect even if they're damaged and I open cases, that Ebay won't do anything about it.

I'm guessing that even if Ebay had agreed and not made me accept the return, he would have likely opened a case with PayPal or even charged back his credit card. 

I've never left negative feedback for buyers, but I might make an exception in this case.  I'm waiting to see the returned items before I make a decision on that.

Lesson learned: Cost of this lesson: $300 plus shipping.

There needs to be blacklist of buyers that try to screw over sellers.

--> End of rant.

I would definitely leave negative feedback if you can.  And that’s one reason I hate selling on eBay.  They protect the buyers every time, and the seller has no protection from scammers or people with buyers remorse.  I hate to hear that. I hope you find a way to get some of that money back. 

So I guess it's safe to say by customization you mean names, initials etc? I would definitely leave feedback on him. Also what the customer service lady told you about getting them back and inspecting, I try it and see what happens. It won't cost you to try it I guess? If nothing else you can have em back for advertising.

I just found this out, apparently Ebay no longer allows sellers to leave negative feedback for buyers.

Only buyers can leave sellers negative feedback.

That is a gold plated crock of s**t.

Capture.JPG

3 hours ago, GaryNunn said:

Now I get to toss out $300+ of custom leather holsters, that I likely can't resell to anyone else.

That's a bummer! 

However I'd love to see the work that you did for him.  What type of guns did you make the holsters for?  I'm sure you can resell them so someone, maybe for a lower price, but at least it won't be a complete loss!

Sorry to hear that happened to you. If you dig into eBay policy (and Amazon also) you will find that it really does not matter if you say you do not accept returns. There are only a few categories that eBay will actually allow you to not accept a return.  The fact is eBay says that if you are selling on their venue you accept returns. The way they screw over the seller is by telling them they can have a no return policy but then they turn around and tell the buyer that if they say the item is not as described it can be returned for a refund.

I've sold on eBay pretty much since it began and it has evolved a lot. Some for the better and some for the worse. As a general rule I won't sell anything on eBay for more than $100 in one order.  In my opinion they are trying to be Amazon because Amazon is kicking their ass. I'm still selling on Feebay as I still make a significant chunk of change on there. I have been on Amazon for only 3 years though and my sales have already surpassed my eBay sales.

Feedback is meaningless on eBay. Sellers can not leave a negative or neutral feedback for a buyer, there is no selection to do so. If a seller attempts to leave a negative statement about a buyer under the guise of a positive feedback, eBay will remove the feedback and suspend the seller. Bottom line is buyers can say whatever they want, sellers can only praise a buyer for paying.

As for the holsters, post them on here or on facebook...find some gun forums. I bet someone will buy them even if its at a discount its better than tossing them.

Makes you want to  repost them on ebay, saying these custom items were returned by buyer so and so that had requested his initials on them AFTER they were approved, fabricated, and shipped.  Make it full price, non returnable, buy it now only option so it stays on a good long time and anyone searching a buyer's name it will pop up.  That's pretty low of the buyer to do that to a craftsman - not all craftspeople can afford that expensive of a lesson, especially when the sale of one item goes into the leather purchase for the next item.

YinTx

2 hours ago, YinTx said:

Makes you want to  repost them on ebay, saying these custom items were returned by buyer so and so that had requested his initials on them AFTER they were approved, fabricated, and shipped.  Make it full price, non returnable, buy it now only option so it stays on a good long time and anyone searching a buyer's name it will pop up.  That's pretty low of the buyer to do that to a craftsman - not all craftspeople can afford that expensive of a lesson, especially when the sale of one item goes into the leather purchase for the next item.

YinTx

Oooooh, you are a devious one, Y.

That is a great idea.

GaryNunn, . . . I had a similar pair of experiences on Ebay, . . . the total of the two was just under $500, . . . one was a purchase from a scammer, . . . the other was a sale to a scammer.  

In the purchase, . . . it was my credit card company who bailed me (scammer sold me a piece of junk computer and when I returned it, . . . he swore it never happened, . . . Ebay took his word, . . . even when I sent them a copy of his signed receipt acknowledging the return).

In the sale, . . . the guy veiled the threat of zero feedback if I didn't refund part of the purchase price.

I did what I had to do so I could keep my 100% rating on Ebay, . . . just considered both as lessons, . . . and "cost of doing business" charge.  Sort of like having a shop and someone comes in and shop lifts the goods.

I did also have a similar holster deal, . . . put it on Ebay later, . . . "Customer return, . . . still functional, . . . seriously reduced", . . . and I got my leather / hardware / and labor cost back.  No profit, . . . but not as great a loss, . . . and the second buyer was tickled pink with the holster.

Best wishes, my friend, . . . may God bless,

Dwight

PS:  My money is like you said, . . . on the wife.  "You paid how much for that?????"

Edited by Dwight

I agree about putting up again. If it's initials or a name somewhere in the world someone has the same name or initials.lol How many people have you met with the same name? Heck my name is Matt Smith. I have to deal with stuff all the time with my CDL. Proving nope that wasn't me.

Do you have some pics of these fancy holsters?

:huh: